• Register
  • Help

Topic: Texas Music Educators Association Conference pictures

Texas Music Educators Association Conference pictures

At the URL below are my pictures from Garritan's appearance at the Texas Music Educators Association annual convention in San Antonio, February 15 through 19.

22,000 people attended. That was about 4,000 educators (K-12 through college) and mobs of students in all state honor bands and choruses, and their parents. And a few exhibitors like Garritan.

I didn't set out to document the event. I merely snapped a few shots, mostly from the exhibit hall, to show the sort of stuff that went on.

Obviously there were many companies hawking affordable student band instruments. There were also technology and music education companies, and sheet music publishers. Then there were companies that make fundraising sales materials (and sometimes serve hot cookies as samples from the booth--mmmm). There were travel agencies to get you marching band to the Rose Bowl and back.

There were myriad seminars ranging from product demos to PhD dissertations and music educators' topics.

The Dallas Wind Orchestra gave an outstanding professional concert on Thursday night.

You couldn't attend any of the all state student ensemble performances, because the crowds were just too dense. You would have to buy tickets in advance and queue up for two or three hours before each show, which ran back-to-back all day Saturday.

On my Web page with the photos, please forgive me if I failed to properly identify each of the Garritanians depicted. Send me corrections.

Re: Texas Music Educators Association Conference pictures

Hi, Wheat!

Thanks for the pix.

In answer to your "what is this?"...it is a CIMBASSO, and you are correct about its use in Verdi. It is a large-bore, mainly cylindrical instrument pitched usually in F, sometimes in CC. It has a less round or mellow sound than an F tuba (equivalent pitch) would because the tuba is conical. The Cimbasso is really a valved bass trombone sorta thing, and was Verdi's choice as a bass to the tenor trombones, which in Verdi's day were real small bore peashooters. Valve tenor trombones were fairly common in that time as well. Many of the famous Italian brass players of the early 1900s or so (Simone Mantia, for ex.) started in opera orchestras on valve trombone and didn't learn slide until they came to America. Mantia, of course, also played wonderful euphonium. Speaking of which...your caption under one of the photos about an immediate need for euphonium samples was expressed well.

These days, the cimbasso is used mainly in film scores, as well as the occasional Verdi opera. It uses a small tuba mouthpiece and is usually played by a tubist, especially in the studios, though a few bass trombone players will double if they are good at valves as well as slides.

PS--how do you tell the trombone player's kids on the playground??
    They can't work the slide and don't know how to swing.

Jim "No Relation" Williams
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I'm so glad you, Gary and others were able to attend our Dallas Wind Symphony concert. Gary even took some cool pics!

In addition to playing sax, I am also staff arranger for the DWS. I use GPO and Finale and I love the results. Right now I just "deal" with the lack of saxes and euphers, but GPO really lets me get my ears around how it's going to sound with the full band. I also compose as time permits, and am working on a piece which will open our April concert here in Dallas. I'll post the GPO realization in the Listening Room as soon as it's ready...

David Lovrien
    Saxophone, webmaster, staff arranger
    Dallas Wind Symphony

Thanks, David.

I loved the Dallas Wind Symphony.

For somebody like me, who gets to see very little live classical music these days, it was a rare treat.

Here was the program performed at the TMEA conference:

Savannah River Holiday Overture, Ron Nelson
    Thunder and Blazes, Julius ~~~ik (better known as "Entrance of the Gladiators")
    First Suite in Eb for Military Band, Gustav Holst
    Daphnis and Cloe, Suite No. 2, Maurice Ravel arr. Masato Sato
    Festive Overture, Dmitri Shostakovich, arr. Donald Hunsberger
    Adagio from "Gran Partita" Serenade No. 10 in Bb, W. A Mozart (played with a small ensemble, I think 13 pieces)

Then they were joined by the Shelly Berg Trio, with arrangements of "My Bells" by Bill Evans, a Pavanne by Gabriel Faure, and "Blackbird" by Lennon and McCartney.

Now, David, maybe you or another of you academic types can explain this to me. Why is it called the Dallas Wind Symphony and not the Dallas Wind Orchestra? Since when did the word "symphony" become a replacement for the word "orchestra"? My dictionary says that a "symphony" is a specific type of long-form musical composition, and an "orchestra" is a large ensemble of musicians, and a "symphony orchestra" is an orchestra that plays symphonies. This of course allows for the fact that there are other kinds of orchestras that generally do not play symphonies, and there are other kinds of compositions besides symphonies that are frequently undertaken by orchestras.

To illustrate my point, the Dallas Wind Symphony (their name, not mine) did not play any symphonies in the concert I attended. They played overtures, suites, and a movement from a serenade, followed by some lengthy jazz improvisations.

I hate to go all William F. Buckley, Jr. on you, but it seems like "symphony orchestra" has become a casualty of the dumbing down of the English language.

Would you believe that some sort of bad-word censorship feature on the Northern Sounds forum software prevented the correct display of the name Julius ~~~ik?

That's Julius with an F followed by a U followed by a C followed by an I followed by a K.

I think people of Czech or Slovak ancestry should take exception to such imperialistic practices by blatantly English-centric Internet filters.

Heck, I don't know. (Apparently you can say heck here, but not Julius' last name).

I know that it's always been a marketing problem for us to try to explain what we are to the average joe. "We're an orchestra without strings" or "we're a professional civilian windband" usually get us close, but lots of people still confuse us with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. So I suppose it was just a marketing decision - find a name that rings with sophistication and still differentiate ourselves from the DSO. Maybe we failed, I dunno. But we have enough CD's released now that we probably have to stick with it...

Go Back to forum