• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Berklee online music courses

Share/Bookmark

Berklee online music courses

Anyone have experience with Berklee online music courses? I am thinking of signing up and trying their courses in writing and production. Any insight or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: Berklee online music courses

Styxx:

I don't know anything about the online courses, but I know a LOT about courses at berkeley and the faculty. My suggestion is, if you can, buy materials from their bookstore (not online). They have a number of publications that they use in their classroom instruction - written by instructors. Some of it can be very interesting and useful. Some of it is just common sense. You can save yourself a tremendous amount of money. And then post your questions here online...
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Styxx:

I don't know anything about the online courses, but I know a LOT about courses at berkeley and the faculty. My suggestion is, if you can, buy materials from their bookstore (not online). They have a number of publications that they use in their classroom instruction - written by instructors. Some of it can be very interesting and useful. Some of it is just common sense. You can save yourself a tremendous amount of money. And then post your questions here online...

I tend to agree. Study, study, and read, read. Much better. I took an online course in ProTools last year and it was well done. But, there are so many good books available now that your money might be better spent on those.

My two cents...

Peace

rp

Styxx:

This is very helpful advice and I thank you much. I shall take your suggestion of the online book store and put it to good use!
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    This is very helpful advice and I thank you much. I shall take your suggestion of the online book store and put it to good use!
    Thanks again.
    Styxx:

NO Not the online bookstore. the REAL bookstore in Boston. Perhaps you can get a friend to peruse for you. Its a small shop. They have class workbooks especially written for their classrooms. The stuff online isn't that great

Styxx,

I am a bit biased in favor of Berklee and think what they do is fantastic. Much depends on if you are a self learner and are motivated. If you can learn on your own then NMB and rikp have a point. If you need disciplined and orderly study, then Berklee is a good way to go. There are other options too.

Gary Garritan

Berklee, Berklee, Berklee...Berklee instruction is watered down and utilitarian to the masses. Think about it. They take in something like 2000 student$$$ a year. Is there something wrong with their open admissions? Depends on your philosophy. Should education be restricted? My opinion - NO. Others might think that they are misleading people and just taking their money. Also, quite truthfully, classes never get beyond the basics. Its not higher level stuff. Is this bad? Not always. You can find something to latch on to on any level.

Yet, my opinion is that the open enrollment emulates the real world and is good in the long run. You will always have the hackers, and you need to work with them or around them. Like the real world, some of the Bezerklee students are just incredible and will be able to support themselves. The rest unfortunately wont. You will always need to teach yourself if you are not getting it from the classroom or beyond it. The minority of students that are excellant realize this once they get over their dissapointment of the classroom. There is nothing that you can do about that. All the greats worked around their education systems. They took what they could, but had to take their own road anyway.

Are the instructors second rate? Some of them. But most of them are professional and enjoy teaching and highly qualified. The number of grads looking for teaching gigs in Boston is HUGH, so you get good folks. Quite frankly, the teachers are underpaid by Berklee and they should get more $$$.

I think the Music Technology or Synthesis or Recording Technology is best. Also their Music Biz stuff...The traditional composition practice isn't that good. The school doesnt look at composition as being a main practice, unfortunately...but their teachers are good its just the structure doesnt support it. You don't get private instruction for 4 years...or get advanced theory you would normally get in a conservatory. You don't get a solid history/theory morphed class like you do in a conservatory.

Since you want production education, I think you will get good stuff. But, check out their bookstore!

Styxx:

NO Not the online bookstore. the REAL bookstore in Boston. Perhaps you can get a friend to peruse for you. Its a small shop. They have class workbooks especially written for their classrooms. The stuff online isn't that great
    No one I know lives there ... When's the next bus out?

Geez....maybe you can call the bookstore directly? It may be a bit buzy and you may get a student that give you short conversation, but they may be able to help you...or ask for someone who is playing manager that day...

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Styxx,

I am a bit biased in favor of Berklee and think what they do is fantastic. Much depends on if you are a self learner and are motivated. If you can learn on your own then NMB and rikp have a point. If you need disciplined and orderly study, then Berklee is a good way to go. There are other options too.

Gary Garritan
    Thank you.

Go Back to forum