• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: GPO Synced to Real Orchestra Video - Birdsall's KNIGHTS AND MAGIC

Share/Bookmark

GPO Synced to Real Orchestra Video - Birdsall's KNIGHTS AND MAGIC

In last year's GPO Orchestration Competition, Richard Birdsall's "Knights and Magic" was selected as the Grand Prize winner.

Richard's prize was to have his work performed in concert by the Moravian Philharmonic orchestra and broadcast live, and then to have the work professionally recorded with the orchestra. He also won an all-expense paid trip to the concert and tuition in Hummie Mann's Film Scoring Program. It was a real pleasure meeting Richard ansd his familty in the Czech Republic. It's hard to believe Richard was 18 years old when he wrote this work. What a rare talent.

DPDan took the video of the performance and Richard's MIDI file and again did his magic. DPDan synchronized the MIDI file to the video of the live performance of Richard's GPO competition piece. What you will see is a real orchestra playing but what you hear is a synchronized MIDI-mock-up using GPO. Dan did an unbelievably incredible job!

Here is a link to the Windows Media video: (It's a 25 MB file and worth seeing).

Knights and Magic - by Richard Birdsall - Windows Media Video
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/KnightsAndMagic-GPO.wmv

Here is a link to the Quicktime Movie: (It's a 50 MB file).

Knights and Magic - by Richard Birdsall - Quicktime Movie
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/KnightsAndMagic-GPO.mov

*NOTE*Please download the quicktime movie totally before you try to play it.Here is a link to the free download of the most recent Quicktime 7 for MAC: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/mac.html
    Here is the Quicktime 7 download for Windows: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

And here is an mp3 (audio only) file:
    Knights and Magic - by Richard Birdsall - MP3 Audio
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/DP-KnightsAndMagic.mp3

You should watch this video because: 1) it is amazing music that Richard has composed [top winner out of 200 entiries], 2) it shows the capabilities of a $199 orchestral library, 3) the mock-up and synchronization DPDan did is hard to believe, and 4) to my knowledge, we are the first to show MIDI mockups synced to orchestral videos (Ken-P's was the first a few weeks ago).

DPDan created a conductor track in DP in order to sync the midi file to the video. In the next post I'll show some of the Digital Performer screenshots showing DPDan's digital workspace.

It was so enjoyable hearing Richard's piece performed live. Richard and Dan have done an amazining job capturing the performance and giving the feeling you back at a live performance. Thanks David Sosnowski (etLux) for being gracious enough to convert the Quicktime version, thank you Richard for this winning composition and thank you again Dan for doing this unique and masterful synchronization.

It believe it will be a worthwhile experience to see and hear what Richard and DPDan have done.

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

Richard Birdsall being presented the top award by Andy Brick and conductor Petr Pololanik

The orchestra performing Richard's "Knights and Magic"

Re: GPO Synced to Real Orchestra Video - Birdsall's KNIGHTS AND MAGIC

DPDan has shared his worspace environment in Digital Performer. Dan created a conductor track in DP in order to sync the midi file to the video and below are some screenshots. In Dan's words:

"This is a screenshot showing the conductor track where all the tempo changes are fluctuating to match the orchestra."

"Here is a screenshot of the Altiverb that I used for all Brass. I used a total of four Altiverb settings, a separate one for Strings, Woods, Brass and Percussion. "

"In this screenshot you can see the first few notes of one of the GPO French Horn tracks. The top track is the midi track, and the lower track is the audio.

The red lines in the lower track (audio) shows the pitch data that I drew in to create the pitch bending from the first note to the second.
    DP's pitch automation feature detects the "root" pitch from the audio track, and superimposes the root pitch data over the audio waveform (soundbite). These "root pitches" referred to as "pitch segments" look like midi notes. It is very easy and fast to instantly hear and see the results. Another very cool feature is that these pitch segments can be copied into a midi track, and then be used to trigger any midi instruments. In other words, I can sing a part into an audio track, then copy the pitch segments to be used as midi notes to trigger GPO's various instruments. Wow the technology!"

Thanks Dan for sharing these screenshots and giving us a glimpse of how you do things.

Gary Garritan

Incredibly good job on this with Richard Bridsall's wonderful piece, DPDan!

Wow!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

DAN!!

You've done it again! Amazing work! You truly can work magic with GPO!

Not sure what more to say... just WOW
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thank you Gary for this wonderful opportunity, and thank you David for providing your gracious time to convert the Quicktime video to a Windows medium for all to enjoy.

Sean you are so kind, thank you.
    What a blessing you have been to this forum!

Dan

this post was edited December 30th 2011

link to youtube video of real orchestra and GPO sound

http://youtu.be/Zni5S2xnX6I

Dan, kudos to you! That's an amazing sync and performance job you've done. I'm very impressed with both the engineering and musicianship you display.

Gregory D. Moore

This is a reminder of the composing talent around and DeePee's extraordinary talent too. The results Dan achieves using GPO makes one wonder why we need GPO advanced?

Well done everyone.

Frank

Again, an amazing, beautiful experience all around.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

DPDAN:

Incredible.........AWSOME..............Magnificent rendition of Richard Birdsall's composition.

It's so live, I can hardly believe my ears. A truly superb mix, Dan. Your Audio Engineering skills just mystifies me every time I hear an artistic accomplishment of yours. You are the BEST........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Most impressive.

Best,
    Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast