• Register
  • Help

Topic: How useful will GPO be if I have an unsupported composition program?

Share/Bookmark

How useful will GPO be if I have an unsupported composition program?

After browsing this site and the demos for just 10 minutes I am blown away by both the amazing sound quality and expressiveness, and the affordability of the library.

Here's the problem though - I don't use a "supported" notation program. I compose with Harmony Assistant. Yes, I've tried Sibelius and Finale and after composing with HA for years I just find it more user-friendly and intuitive (and it doesn't cost 600 bucks!).

So my question is, will Harmony Assistant be compatible with GPO? If not, can I export Harmony Assistant files into some other format that GPO can read? Will I need some kind of intermediary software?

I'd love to hear my scores with GPO, it's just a question of making sure that my indications (dynamics, slurs etc) are kept?

Re: How useful will GPO be if I have an unsupported composition program?

GPO is basically a standalone server. In your OS you can you set up virtual MIDI ports and GPO takes up the output to speakers. Basically in this configuration, you can run just about anything. Simply launch GPO stdio and load your sounds. Then load your software and set midi out to midi in of GPO. Any controller MIDI information is passed into GPO from your app.

what integtration allows you to do is easily control setup information like panning and the like, as well as mix down to WAV etc. It just makes it more easy so you can manipulate from one app. I run GPO with FINALE 2006 and I DO NOT integrate and it works great. I could use any software this way.
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

I use GPO as a VST instrument in Sonar, with no notation software at all (other than the Staff view in Sonar). Works great, nothing to it!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Whitman,

GPO should work with Harmony Assistant. I've had other user mentioned they use HA with GPO. The only limitation I have heard a while ago was that HA supports 3 midi devices and GPO is 8 devices at once. This means you may only get 24 instruments instead of 64. Myriad may well have fixed HA to support more MIDI devices. The support forum at Myriad has had some posts about GPO and perhaps you can find more information. Please let me know what you find out. I would also be happy to contact the folks at Harmony Assistant to work towards better integration.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by WhitmanComposer
    After browsing this site and the demos for just 10 minutes I am blown away by both the amazing sound quality and expressiveness, and the affordability of the library.

Here's the problem though - I don't use a "supported" notation program. I compose with Harmony Assistant. Yes, I've tried Sibelius and Finale and after composing with HA for years I just find it more user-friendly and intuitive (and it doesn't cost 600 bucks!).

So my question is, will Harmony Assistant be compatible with GPO? If not, can I export Harmony Assistant files into some other format that GPO can read? Will I need some kind of intermediary software?

I'd love to hear my scores with GPO, it's just a question of making sure that my indications (dynamics, slurs etc) are kept?

According to myriad forum, next version, 9.2, will support 12 midi output devices.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum