• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need more instrument capability

Share/Bookmark

Need more instrument capability

I use the bundled VST4 and Kontakt player that came with GPO, which handle 16 instruments. I need to be able to load more instruments for full orchestral scores - what is the best way to achieve this, i.e what do I need to get? As a new user I would any appreciate help/recommendations here.

Re: Need more instrument capability

Cubasis4 has a maximum capacity of 3 instances (24 instruments.) You will need to move to a full-featured sequencer to extend that. Most sequencers allow you to load as many instances as your computer can handle. Choice of sequencer depends on many things - your budget, your computer platform, and your needs. On PC, the two most prominent choices are Sonar and Cubase. On Mac the two most prominent are Digital Performer and Logic. Most sequencers have a line of choices at different price points.

Tom

Thanks Tom for reply. Regarding my needs, 24 instruments would be fine; my platform is Windows XP.
    Although I can load Personal Orchestra VST 3 times, I cannot use instruments 17-24 because the channels available in the Kontakt window stop at 16.
    So what I'm not clear about is - do I need an upgraded version of Kontakt to use instruments 17 - 24, and if so which version?
    Do I then also need an upgrade to Cubasis VST 4?
    Finally I have 1 GB RAM, and sometimes get messages to effect that memory is low when loading instruments - should I have 1.5 or even 2 GB RAM?
    For example I was loading some instruments for a piano concerto and needed GPO Steinway twice, but memory warninmgs came up. I solved it by using Steinway Light. There is a firewalll and AV running on the PC - this may account for the pressure on memory.
    Being relatively new to GPO, I appreciate any help you can give.

Eugene,
    You may "reuse" channels 1-8 for each player instance.

For a simple example, your first eight midi tracks can use channels 1-8 to send to player instance #1, the next eight midi tracks can also use channels 1-8 to send to player instance #2, and likewise for the last eight midi tracks and player instance #3:

Tk 1 Ch 1==>K1 Slot 1 (receives on Ch 1)
    Tk 8 Ch 8==>K1 Slot 8 (receives on Ch 8)
    Tk 9 Ch 1==>K2 Slot 1 (receives on Ch 1)
    etc.
    Bill

Thanks billp, that would seem to solve my problem.....only I don't know how to go about it! - sadly, due to lack of expertise.
    Any further help greatly appreciated.
    Eugene

Make sure you have 3 instances of GPO loaded in the VST Instruments panel.

Then, click on MIDI track 1 and select the first GPO instance from the "Output" dropdown in the "Track Info" panel. Then, specify the channel (1, for example) in the "Channel" text box immediately below the "Output" dropdown. Click on MIDI tracks 2-8 in turn, repeating the above for all tracks that will send to the first GPO instance. For simplicity's sake, for track 2, use channel 2, track 3 channel 3 and so on. When you're done, tracks 1-8 will be sending to GPO instance #1 on channels 1-8 respectively.

Then, repeat the above for tracks 9-16, but select the second GPO instance from the "Output" dropdown. You can "reuse" channels 1-8--track 9 channel 1, track 10 channel 2, and so on.

Now, repeat the above for tracks 17-24, but select the third GPO instance from the "Output" dropdown. You can "reuse" channels 1-8.
    Bill

Thanks billp - as simple as that! Yes I got it to work, so now can get in those extra instruments. Thanks for your time with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene
    Finally I have 1 GB RAM, and sometimes get messages to effect that memory is low when loading instruments - should I have 1.5 or even 2 GB RAM?
    For example I was loading some instruments for a piano concerto and needed GPO Steinway twice, but memory warninmgs came up. I solved it by using Steinway Light. There is a firewalll and AV running on the PC - this may account for the pressure on memory.
    WinXP and your host sequencer use some RAM to begin with. In addition, the OS needs some headroom to function properly. The remainder can be used for loading instruments. With 1GB of RAM that usually turns out to be about 600 to 700MB of usable space. Some instruments (like winds) require very small amounts of space. Some (like piano) require quite a bit of space. Loading two full pianos will pretty much eat all of your available RAM. You can either load the lighter versions or add RAM - and, yes, 1.5Gb or 2Gb of RAM would help in this case. By the way, try the duo1 and duo 2 pianos. They use the least amount of RAM and have the advantage of using different samples from one another, so they don't sound exactly alike.

Tom

Thanks again Tom for your suggestiuons.

Go Back to forum