• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Don Knotts dies...

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Don Knotts dies...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Don Knotts died on Friday night at the age of 81. He was one of the greats. I enjoy watching his hilarious comedic acting on reruns of Andy Griffith and Three's Company.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Don Knotts dies...

One of the greats Don Knotts. An actor's actor and everyone in the business knew it. They say comedie is the hardest thng to do and this guy could make you laugh anytime he chose with no material at all. Physical comedie or attitude or reactions or whatever - he was the master. He enriched entire generations of people and will be missed but not forgotten - just turn on the tube and he'll show up.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Nip it. Nip it. Nip it in the bud....

I was really sad last night when I got in and saw that news. If you were a baby boomer, then you grew up with Don Knotts. He feels like family. And Barney Fife has to be one of the most brilliantly conceived comedic characters of all times. Knotts took it to the bleeding edge, and never went over the top. Unlike Andy Griffith's character, you never saw Knotts winking at you through Barney. He played that part so straight up that you were always feeling a little sorry for the neurotic bastard while laughing at him. And he also conveyed some real sadness and lonliness as well.

I read an interview last night where Knotts was flattered that Jim Carrey was considering a revival of Mr. Limpet. He said that if someone were to propose reviving Barney Fife, he might have a different reaction. I think I agree. I would never want to see another person touch that role. Can't be done. That one belongs to Don Knotts, forever and always.

And now Darren McGavin!! Kolchak the Night Stalker is gone. I think that bums me out more than Don Knotts. Well, it goes in threes- who's next??

Unhappy Re: Don Knotts dies...

Where have all the great ones gone? ... Don Knotts will be truly missed.

Yep, just heard about Weaver. The name of the movie (actually, a TV movie, but released theatrically overseas with a few additional scenes) was simply Duel. It's really a great flick- and a clear precursor to Jaws, if you think about it!

That's sad! I had no idea Dennis Weaver was 81. I met him a couple of times in the mid-'80s, and he looked 50 at most. Very nice guy.

And now - LOS ANGELES (Feb. 27) - Dennis Weaver, the diffident deputy Chester Goode in the TV classic western "Gunsmoke" and the canny New Mexico deputy solving New York City crime in "McCloud," has died. The actor was 81.

Uncanny the way people of the same ilk go in three's. Don Knotts, Darren McGavin and now Dennis Weaver. Three hugely talented and unique personalities that represented their generation so well.

Makes me think of losing Goldsmith, Bernstein and Raksin within in days last year. Interesting how different media link us to people so personally and emotionally.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast