• Register
  • Help

Topic: K2 Alternation Mode script

K2 Alternation Mode script

Hi everyone,
    I have put together an Alternation Mode script for Kontakt2 to be used with VSL instruments (although it's possible to extend it to work with any key-switched instrument). For those not familiar with VSL's performance tool, it lets you setup sequences of articulations and choose between those sequences using key switches. The matrix size is 27 x 20 (lines x articulations). It's possible to configure key switches or MIDI CC to:
    * switch between lines
    * goto the first articulation
    * goto the next articulation.
    It's also possible to set up a maximum idle time after which the first articulation is automatically chosen. So far this is only a beta version.

Here's a demo mp3 (the "ding" sound indicates use of key switches) and a screenshot:

1. select an instrument (the setting up to the right)
    2. configure a couple of articulations
    3. program a key switch using the learn button
    4. if you want, increase the line and then redo steps 2 and 3

This is only a first beta and there's only support for Opus/flute and Solo Strings/Cello (the standard_all instruments). You might be able to use it will other instruments as well. All feedback is very welcome.
    See my scripts web page for more information and a download link.

Nils Liberg

Re: K2 Alternation Mode script

Wow Nils,

Sounds like this could be great. I'm not at my studio right now, but will check it out. I own Opus etc... and am so tired of GS.... but those darn WW Performance Tools sound too good to abandon GS. I was thinking about going in and analyzing all the Layers in GS to make a Key Switching Script so I could 100% abandon GS... but it seems like so much work. But now you post this!!!

I'm having a new X2 (dual Processor) machine built as another K2 machine and I'll try it on that one... right now all my other computers are filled up with my template

Thanks for posting this.

Hi Thonex,
    thanks for your interest. It'll be interesting to hear what you have to say when you've tested it. There are two things that can be good to know: the -2 variations (eg. stac-2 for stac-1+2) are not part of the standard_all VSL instruments. If you want to use them, you have to do like me who added them (just a copy and paste operation) and assigned a key switch that's one higher than all the existing ones. Same thing for 0.3s-2 and 0.5s-2.

Furthermore, due to how K2 works settings cannot be transferred from an earlier version of a script to a newer version. This may sound very limiting, but I don't think it'll have to be once the script code stabilizes. I'm just saying that one shouldn't put too much work into setting up matrixes at this point. In any case, the scripts and their settings are saved with each music project, so older projects will not be affected by future updates (both good and bad I guess).

Btw. I updated my web page layout, so hopefully the script documentation is a little bit easier to read know.

Now there's a new version of the script available.
    • Support for all instruments in the VSL library bundled with Kontakt 2, Horizon Solo Strings, and almost all instruments in Opus 1.
    • A couple of bugs fixed.
    • It's possible to insert and delete articulations for flexible rearranging.
    To use it with the VSL samples bundled with Kontakt 2, please select an item in the Instrument menu that begins with 'K2'.

If I didn't have these deadlines... I'd be testing your little gem of a script.

Stop distracting me from my work!!!

Seriously... Maybe I'll be able to get rid of GS soon.....

I'll let you know when I try it out.... probably not for a week though.

Go Back to forum