• Register
  • Help

Topic: is 7200 rpm fast enough?

Share/Bookmark

is 7200 rpm fast enough?

Hi all, I have decided to get another hard drive to put sample only on to. this drive will contian only the samples, from like ew stuff, and bfd and spectra and ivroy all that good stuff. But i have been readig alot about 10,000 rpm drives. Now i know there are some drive that have like 16mb of chache built right on. The problem is this, the 10,000 rpm drive are so limted in there capacity. eaither 74 gigs, or the new one from wester digital is 150 gigs for 349.99. But yet i see 300 gig drives and bigger for under 300 dollars. I just dont know which way to go. I cant afford to have a seperate 74 gig drive for each product i own, so whats the best solution, i know there will be some trade offs, i woud love to here any suggestions or comment any of you may have and you own experiences you ahve had with hard drives.

Re: is 7200 rpm fast enough?

The Hitachi 250GB SATA2 drives are good price/performance investments. The Raptors are awesome drives, but very expensive. You don't need that fast of a drive. Maybe if you had one huge 24 bit piano library and needed to simultaneously play big clusters of notes with the sustain pedal held down. Outside of really insane polyphony requirements, a 7200RPM SATA drive will be more than adequate.

fizbin

Ditto on on the 7200 SATA drive. I'm running an insane amount of intensive libraries off a Seagate 300 GB SATA I picked up at CompUSA for $139 after rebates. Runs perfectly.

Best of luck! -Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedbox
    Ditto on on the 7200 SATA drive. I'm running an insane amount of intensive libraries off a Seagate 300 GB SATA I picked up at CompUSA for $139 after rebates. Runs perfectly.

Best of luck! -Tweed
    when was this that you got that for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by wlahc1
    when was this that you got that for that price?
    Roughly 3-4 weeks ago. There was an instant rebate, and then an additional $40 mail-in rebate. I haven't checked to see what the deals are now, but if you keep your eye out, it seems like they pop up all the time.

Just picked me up a 2nd one of these -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145087 = $104 + shipping

The one Tweedbox mentions is going for $133 + shipping without any cumbersome rebates -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148110

fizbin

Go Back to forum