• Register
  • Help

Topic: Notebook purchase recommendations

Notebook purchase recommendations

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a mid-priced notebook ($1K-1.5K) and wanted to hear your recommendations.
    I'm a professional sound designer and have a studio based on Mac computers but want to buy a PC notebook to do some sound design and editing while on the go. Please remember that this won't be my primary system and the budget is a consideration.
    I will most likely buy M-Audio's Ozone as an interface and use NI software.
    I'm considering Toshiba and Sony Vaio with simular specs.
    1.73-2ghz, Pentium M Centrino, 15.4 monitor, 5400rpm SATA drive, 1gig of RAM.

Please let me know your thoughts and share your experience.

Re: Notebook purchase recommendations

If you're already Mac based, why not consider a Powerbook? Performance vs. a comparably priced PC may be the factor there, but you can get a refurbished Powerbook for $1000-1500 at the Apple store...

Hi jzzdan,

on the Mackie Forum there are problems with the Toshiba laptops' FW bus connecting to FW interfaces. It is mentioned various times that other forums find the same problems. Good luck.

Hollywood California

I've just tricked out a couple of Fujitsu N6220s (for about $2400 each, 17" screens, 7200 rpm sys drives, XP Pro)...really nice machines...very satisfied customers! I'll bet they have something in the configuration you're looking at. One nice thing is that you can get two hard drives internally on some of the models which would save having to carry that extra drive if you're working library isn't too big. I think the internals only go up to 120 or so. They've got all the built ins and were actually a lot less work to set up than the Vaio I did a couple of years ago for Ilio. Cheers, jc

Nice machine. I'm glad to hear good things about Fujitsu

I can't spend that much now so I just picked up a Fujitsu N3500 15.4 dual core @1.66 Ghz, 2 gigs or Ram. It has a 5200 rpm drive that I plan to replace in the near future. It was $1.399 plus the cost of RAM.

I'm liking it so far. I hope it stays that way.

Go Back to forum