• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: help! getting pops and clicks with GPO in sonar.

Share/Bookmark

help! getting pops and clicks with GPO in sonar.

strange thing is, it only happens with multiprocessor engine enabled. also, it only happens with two (or more) instances of the kontakt player (so far), again this only happens with multi processor on. anyone know what might be the problem? also it happens when certain instruments are overlaid. but again, only when the multiprocessor engine is enabled. i realize this may be related to sonar but it also may be related to the kontakt player. i dont have problems with other plug ins with the multiprocessor engine in sonar. below is my hardware config..

Athlon X2 3800
    MSI K8N Neo2 (nforce3)
    1GB Ram
    WinXP SP2
    Maudio Delta44 with latest (.51) drivers

Re: help! getting pops and clicks with GPO in sonar.

I experienced the same, and it was a real pain in the bloomers until I figured out, that I could get rid of it by unchecking Multiprocessor Enabled. Maybe what they mean is TRUE Multiprocessor and not just HyperThreading. Anyway, it doesn't seem to affect performance to uncheck Multiprocessor Enabled.

Do not use the multiprocessor image as it will cause clicks and pops. You can leave hyper-threading enabled in the BIOS though. The Kontakt player is not multiprocessor capable.

Jim

even though kontakt is not multi processor enabled it would be nice to be able to use it as it will reduce cpu utilization in a project. few plug ins are multiprocessor enabled but for an overall project it helps alot. its disappointing that kontakt player cannot do this.

Do I understand correctly that if:

1) I upgrade to an Athlon X2 dual-core CPU

2) Use GPO in Sonar

I will NOT be able to take advantage of Sonar's Multiprocessor support on any projects that contain GPO??

This is very disappointing. The X2 processors are highly regarded for Sonar and Vegas because of their dual-core multi-thread multiprocessing capability. I've been planning an upgrade for some time.

One of the big reasons for the upgrade: I have several large Sonar templates that use exclusively GPO (with 12-24 instances of GPO loaded). Obviously, my Athlon XP 2600+ can only handle 2-3 instances running at low latency (2.9-5.8ms) without grinding to a halt. So I haven't been able to use my big templates. I was hoping that the extra processing power of the X2 upgrade would make it possible to use run at least 10-15 instances of GPO together. Without multiprocessor support, I guess that's out the window. Not to mention that other plug-ins, effects, etc. will suffer with multiproc' disabled.

Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite5ths
    Do I understand correctly that if:

1) I upgrade to an Athlon X2 dual-core CPU

2) Use GPO in Sonar

I will NOT be able to take advantage of Sonar's Multiprocessor support on any projects that contain GPO??

This is very disappointing.

I am running a dual-core AMD CPU and have run as many as six instances of the player (JABB) with no poping with the multiporicessor enabled. Did run in to one weird issue with the Altosax, but I fixed that by using the DXi instead of the VST version, use the VST versions for the piano, bass and durms.

Most of my poping issues have been because of Sound cards, sound card drives and sound card configureations.

Note I have note really done as much with GPO so not sure if there is a difference between it and JABB, will have to check it out this weekend.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Doesn't JABB use the same Kontakt engine as GPO? According to earlier posts in this thread, the issue lies with the Kontakt engine, specifically its lack of support for multiprocessing.

I heard somewhere that GPO is going to be updated to the Kontakt 2 engine. Is that just a rumor? If not, does Kontakt 2 support multiprocessor features?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite5ths
    Doesn't JABB use the same Kontakt engine as GPO? According to earlier posts in this thread, the issue lies with the Kontakt engine, specifically its lack of support for multiprocessing.

I heard somewhere that GPO is going to be updated to the Kontakt 2 engine. Is that just a rumor? If not, does Kontakt 2 support multiprocessor features?
    I know they both use the Kontakt engine, I do not know if they are identical, and I wanted to be clear on what I had tested with. But I would guess that if I am not having problems with JABB I would not have problems with GPO.

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Kontakt 2 is supposed to have multi-processor support although I haven't tested it.

I've been getting 10-12 instances of GPO Kontakt player mixed with other libraries using Kontakt 1.53 and Kontakt 2 without having pops and clicks on just a P4 2.8 GHz machine. This is without using hyper-threading. So on a clean machine without doing much tweaking you should be able to get this much performance. I regular get 300 stereo voices playing before maxing out the CPU. Make sure DFD is not enabled though as it will cut back polyphony to around 200 voices.

Jim

Ed: OK, thanks for the clarification. As for GPO being updated to use the Kontakt 2 engine, I think I just misunderstood the last paragraph of this sticky post.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...kontakt+engine

Haydn: Really? I'm surprised at that. What audio latency settings are you running? My smaller template in Sonar 4.0.4 has 185 tracks. (Most of those are MIDI+DXi audio track pairs -- so really about 92 MIDI tracks driving 92 DXi audio tracks, plus an odd track or two.) It uses 12 instances of the GPO VSTi wrapped in the Cakewalk VST Wrapper. In that project, with latency set to 5.8ms, my CPU meters (Sonar & Windows Task Manager) show 65-75% with ONE instance of GPO actually loaded (the others are disconnected) - the audio engine is running, but nothing is even playing.

Normally, my latency is set to about 37ms; but at 37ms the CPU meters spike to 91% at times (4 instances of GPO using at total of 26 instruments). [At higher latencies it's tricky to overdub anyway, because the instrument takes so long to respond.] Also, saving a project in Sonar slows to a crawl with this many tracks/instances - regardless of the latency settings. Also it seems to be worse with the string KS samples than with brass or other smaller samples.

I just assumed that my processor was way under-spec for this much work, and figured an X2 3800+ would solve that problem.

Go Back to forum