• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anyone watch American Idle?

Does anyone watch American Idle?

sponsored links

I'm just wondering what the ratio is for musicians. I have never watched it, but the more embarrassing scenes are always floating around on the net, like the most recent ambisextrous contestant that didn't make the cut.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Re: Does anyone watch American Idle?

Horrible shows like that are the reason that I waited many years to purchase my own TV. Ugh. Crap.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Incidentally...I've seen some "idle" Americans, but no American "idols".
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Not me. Not interested.

My kids watched the last few weeks of the rip-off show "Canadian Idol" and I left the room each time. Not sure if I can pinpoint why I dislike shows like that so much. Maybe because it seems so superficial. Good -to great voices, but no real passion.

I watched a bit while my daughter was watching it. I'm just not into it.

Then again, I have a friend who is also on our Masters swim team who is a doctor for the Red Cross - and he rushes home to see it. He's hooked on Survivor as well as Idle.

I don't watch it here at college... I watched some of it back at home because the rest of my family watches it. But I am really am not into the kind of music they tend to sing along to anyway.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I remember watching a movie documentary about Patsy Cline. There's a great moment when interviewer makes a comment about how good she must have been during her developmental years. Everyone gets kind of quiet. One guy says, "well, you might say she was kind of a diamond in the rough". It's obvious he's being nice. A few more people comment and it turns out she basically sucked. She kept at it though, and for the last few years of her life was the "Patsy Cline" that everyone knows.

I think shows like "Star Search" and "American Idol" falsely encapsulate what it takes to succeed in music. They discount the ability of an artist to learn and adapt. Given that attitude Neil Diamond's first concerts would have been his last. (Ok, that might be a good thing.) I've read that Dean Martin wouldn't have survived his developmental years if it hadn't been for his looks. While I don't want to discount natural talent, it seems to me that artists that need time to develop also last longer in the business. I suspect Britney will eventually only be known as the subject of many "where is she now?" articles.

I don't watch the shows unless they happen to be on - typically when I'm setting up in a bar - but think it's safe to say that they have not been able to characterize what it takes to "make it". Very few winners go on to decades of success. From what little I've seen, it's a consumers idea of the music business - it just doesn't parallel the music business that I know and work in.

I think the tide will turn, or is turning.

The great thing about today is the internet. Now anyone can realize their own homegrown musical vision, produce it right in their home and send it out to the world.

I don't know what that means for pop music, I just think that "pop" is what dominates the media, and more and more the media is becoming the internet. The term "pop" could take on a whole new meaning in the next decade or so.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

American Idol is about trying to discover a very specific generic type of pop-star/singer and for what it's trying to accomplish it works. I never expected Kelly Clarkson to actually amount to anything, so what do I know. The important thing to remember is that 9 out of 10 of the greatest artists ever would have never made it on that show. Just imagine Bob Dylan auditioning for those guys, or Tom Waits, or John Lennon, or Kurt Cobain, or Kate Bush, or... AI is what it is.

Go Back to forum