• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will latency 5-10ms be too high for playing a keyboard in real-time?

Share/Bookmark

Will latency 5-7ms be too high for playing a keyboard in real-time?

Hey guys, im planning to buy a masterkeyboard (probably Fatar SL-990) and i was wondering if i should buy a new soundcard also.

I have an onboard nforce4 soundcard with ASIO4ALL drivers which gets me latency of 5ms, both in. and out., sometimes up to 7-10ms depending on the project size.

Is this latency bearable when i want to play the keyboard (i was using mouse till now) or should i get some Audigy v KX drivers for some 2ms latency?

Re: Will latency 5-10ms be too high for playing a keyboard in real-time?

You won't have a problem with that latency. There will be number-freaks who try to convince you it's impossible to live with more than 0.000001 ms, but that's rubbish.

Look at it this way: sound moves through free air at about 1ms per foot. So having the speakers two feet away from your head creates about 2ms of latency. The difference between a soundcard giving 2ms and one giving 5ms, is like the difference between the speakers being 2 feet away and being 5 feet away from your head. Do you find it impossible to play with the speakers more than five feet away from your head? Would you actually notice that difference, in terms of ear-hand coordination?

I'm a professional keyboard player and in my studio setup I work at 12ms. I can just get it down to about 7-8 ms before dropouts start, but I don't notice the difference so I don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    You won't have a problem with that latency. There will be number-freaks who try to convince you it's impossible to live with more than 0.000001 ms, but that's rubbish.
    Yeah, they've obviously never played a "proper" organ in Church :>)

D

Ouch is spot on with his analysis about the speed of sound.

Another thing that comes into play is the sensitivity of the player (you). Some people can't stand any delay at all. Others can sing the Star Spangled Banner in large stadiums - or play real pipe organs.

-JF

Thanks guys that info really helps.

So i guess ill stick with my setup for now and see if its good enough for me, im think that with my playing skills and crappy rhythm it wouldnt make much difference then

Re: Will latency 5-7ms be too high for playing a keyboard in real-time?

Quote Originally Posted by Keitaro333
    I have an onboard nforce4 soundcard with ASIO4ALL drivers which gets me latency of 5ms, both in. and out., sometimes up to 7-10ms depending on the project size.
    Wow! I find that hard to believe with onboard sound.

i know, hard to believe. But then again, its a CPU killer I have Athlon64 3200+ but it really has a hard time running all the instruments and effects with such low latency set.

Go Back to forum