• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pink Panther, Can Steve Martin Pull It Off???

Share/Bookmark

Pink Panther, Can Steve Martin Pull It Off???

Anybody seen this yet?

Waddaya think Styxx, Does Martin have the chopps for this one?

Re: Pink Panther, Can Steve Martin Pull It Off???

Steve who? Martin? That Italian singer fellow with the moon-hits-yer-eye-like-a-big-pizza-pie tune -- used to be with Jerry Lewis? He's dead, isn't he? A wonder he's still acting... most people give it up when they're dead.

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Erik,
    I'll can't answer for Styxx, although he is very busy reading his Kontakt 2 manual.
    As much as I like Steve Martin's acting, I would not want to watch anyone but Peter Sellars do any of those Pink Panther movies. I just watched "Revenge Of The Pink Panther" the other day and it is so great.

thar she blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

No. He will not pull it off and he's a whore and a jerk (no pun intended) for making remakes like this and the Ceaper By The Dozen flicks instead of great comedic films in his own style like The Jerk, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Man With Two Brains.

I'm with you. Steve Martin is very funny--in fact one of the funniest people out there in my opinion. But there was only one Peter Sellars, and when he died so did Inspector Clouseau.

I didn't think Geoffrey Rush did it well either. In general I have a problem with actors trying to imitate real people, especially real people who are/were in the public eye very recently. It's almost always very superficial--mannerisms, facial experessions, gestures, tone of voice, etc.--but they never get the *essence,* especially if the person they're imitating was a larger-than-life personality. It also strikes me as kind of morbid and disrespectful.

It's one thing to imitate a person, but to imitate a character that that person brought to life? That's like wearing the dead guy's underwear and giving his wife a foot massage. Sigh. Steve Martin is brilliant in his own right, he should stay out of other brilliant peoples' territory.

Oh, and let's not forget. Henry Mancini's dead too. His work was as essential to the Pink Panther as Peter Sellars'.

chris.

an Steve Martin Pull It Off? No.
    As stated above, his career is in a bad rut, remakes of classics instead of creating his own. He's funny, he's bright, but he is no Peter Sellers
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thumbs down Re: Pink Panther, Can Steve Martin Pull It Off???

FYI, I think that the movie got two thumbs down!!!!

Peace

rikp

Honestly? I'm with DPDAN. There will never be another Peter Sellers. BUT! Steve Martian is a brilliant comedian in his own style and probably is about the only one who might have a good chance at pulling it off. Sadly, as a big BIG BIG fan of Peter Sellers and The Pink Panther movies ... I will not even bother to even rent the DVD when it comes out.
    So there you swine!
    Styxx

I loved the original Pink Panther/Inspector Clouseau movies. I had actually planned to watch the new Pink Panther remake (despite the fact that I know most remakes are crap compared to the originals, IMO) but then I heard from several people that it was a complete let down. So instead I decided to save my 8 bucks and invest it in something more useful (like the original DVDs )
    Tim

Go Back to forum