• Register
  • Help

Topic: American Fanfare

Share/Bookmark

American Fanfare

This past January I visited New Orleans to observe the devastation first hand. I was deeply moved both by the great loss of property and life, as well as the resiliency of the NOLA community to rebuild. To me, that determination to fight against all odds is part of the American spirit. I wrote American Fanfare out of that experience.

www.greenbackdollar.com/AmericanFanfare.mp3

I'm not completely satisfied with the execution, but please let me know what you think.

Don Cleary
    www.doncleary.com

Re: American Fanfare

I thought this is very nicely done! I kind of imagine this being pretty suitable for the Olympics or something. But anyway, I enjoyed listening to this!

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

I enjoyed it too! Very fanfarish... if that's a word. At about 1:46 when the brass comes in, it sounds to me like it needs some kind of emphasis with bass part... maybe a tuba? Not right at the same time, but kind of like an answer/call thing, like in Williams's Olympic fanfare. Then again, maybe to emphasize that part was not your intent. Also, the ending sounds like it needs fixing... perhaps have a final chord made of staccato notes and the cymbal... though don't let the cymbal reverbate for longer beyond the other notes.

Nice work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I enjoyed it too! Very fanfarish... if that's a word. At about 1:46 when the brass comes in, it sounds to me like it needs some kind of emphasis with bass part... maybe a tuba? Not right at the same time, but kind of like an answer/call thing, like in Williams's Olympic fanfare. Then again, maybe to emphasize that part was not your intent. Also, the ending sounds like it needs fixing... perhaps have a final chord made of staccato notes and the cymbal... though don't let the cymbal reverbate for longer beyond the other notes.

Nice work!
    Good suggestions. Oops, I did forget the tuba.

A stinger? Perhaps. The ending does need something. I sort of ran out of steam.

Thanks, Don
    www.doncleary.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    I thought this is very nicely done! I kind of imagine this being pretty suitable for the Olympics or something. But anyway, I enjoyed listening to this!

-Cata
    Thanks! Where do I apply?
    Don

Some good work in this, Don -- rather a Copland-esque feel to parts of it, which is certainly good company!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Some good work in this, Don -- rather a Copland-esque feel to parts of it, which is certainly good company!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Ah, yes, Copland, my compostion god . I only wish to have an once of his talent. Thanks for drawing the comparison.

Don
    www.doncleary.com

Hi Don. This is a unique work. Haven't heard much from the fanfare "genre" around here. This piece has much resolve and strength... definitely speaks for the people who have unfortunately suffered from loss in New Orleans. Its a great sentiment... a work you should be proud of. As far as execution, the only thing I would suggest is a little more re verb on the brass to set the instruments back a bit and to have more decay; other than that I wouldn't change anything. Good job...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hi Don. This is a unique work. Haven't heard much from the fanfare "genre" around here. This piece has much resolve and strength... definitely speaks for the people who have unfortunately suffered from loss in New Orleans. Its a great sentiment... a work you should be proud of. As far as execution, the only thing I would suggest is a little more re verb on the brass to set the instruments back a bit and to have more decay; other than that I wouldn't change anything. Good job...

Michael
    Thanks, Michael. The only reason I haven't added more reverb to the brass is that my Protools for some odd reason isn't bringing in my RTAS effects for this session. I'm on a MAC and I probably moved something. And on a MAC, when it goes to look for something, it better be exactly where it last found it. I just need to do the extra work to help it make that connection or save the piece as a midi file and load it in a new session. Will do. Thanks again.

Don
    www.doncleary.com

Go Back to forum