• Register
  • Help

Topic: How many use finale 6? 6 1/2, 5&3/8's? 4 and a quarter?

Share/Bookmark

Question How many use finale 6? 6 1/2, 5&3/8's? 4 and a quarter?

Just wondering how you like using Finale especially with GPO? Can you use the Strad with Finale as well? I’m reading something about scanning sheet music. What’s that all about? Can one scan in past written work and have it play on Finale or corrected? Interestingk darlink. I also see they threw in a “Hots Cakes” feature and “Fried Oatmeal, OH BOY!” And, what about the cake baking feature ... Do I need the new Betty Crocker VST Chocolate frosting plug in?
    Styxx

Re: How many use finale 6? 6 1/2, 5&3/8's? 4 and a quarter?

I absolutely LOVE finale 2006 with GPO....

It forces you to learn proper scoring details, since those are what give the realization LIFE.... It integrates well, and the sounds are AWESOME.

I think one could do a BASIC Strad interp in Finale, but the tweaking would prolly have to take place using a MIDI file exported to your DAW of choice.

The scanning feature in Finale is... well...

Less than satisfactory!

I've tried several scanning programs, and it really is a PAIN when you try to do music that has more than 1 voice to a stave (on all programs). The best I've tried so far is Visiv's Sharp Eye (now in v2). SharpEye will save to Music XML, so Finale can import it. Smart Score supposedly exports to Finale, although I can correct a scanned score in Smart score and the import to Finale TOTALLY hoses up

YMMV

Thanks Jonathan.
    Yes, Sharp Eye use to send me emails every week in an effort to make a sale. Never was sure how it worked and many people have told me scanning to notational software is troublesome. I'm using Overture 4 right now and thinking of trying Finale 6.
    Thanks again for the info.

Best.
    Styxx

Styxx,

I am a long time very happy user of Finale (including 2006) but would agree that scanning is not as successful as many would wish.

Obviously, everyone has there own favourite software - and much of this depends on personal workflow - but my take on it is that Finale is capable of producing the best quality of music for printing, and with "Human Playback" can produce pretty good GPO playback too.

I also own Overture 4, and find that it's strength lies in "under the hood" user control of midi playback. Personally, I find that music entry and layout with O4 is not yet up to that of Finale - but this could be because I have just got so comfortable with the Finale workflow that I haven't given O4 enough concentration/time.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Just wondering how you like using Finale especially with GPO? Can you use the Strad with Finale as well? I’m reading something about scanning sheet music. What’s that all about? Can one scan in past written work and have it play on Finale or corrected? Interestingk darlink. I also see they threw in a “Hots Cakes” feature and “Fried Oatmeal, OH BOY!” And, what about the cake baking feature ... Do I need the new Betty Crocker VST Chocolate frosting plug in?
    I use Finale 2006 (I think we're up to version "c" - "d" if you use a Mac). Works great for me, when I have time to write...
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Just wondering how you like using Finale especially with GPO?
    I use Finale 2006c with full GPO and I find the partnership outstanding. I am just learning to 'polish' things off in Sonar 5 (Producer) .. as Nickie, Robert and Markleford will tell you (thanks for your tremendous help).

For me, Finale 2006c with GPO is THE way
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Red face Re: How many use finale 6? 6 1/2, 5&3/8's? 4 and a quarter?

I've never been able to successfully integrate Finale with any sound fonts/libraries including GPO. A few months ago, I upgraded to Finale 2006 which contains the GPO sound library. Spent a few hours trying to configure all sorts of software and hardware to get reasonable latency. Sadly, no success.

I AM able to use Finale with "hardware" tone-generators. Although I am currently (near) 100% computer-based with software sequencers and soft-synths and software sound libraries, I still keep my happy Roland XV-3080 near-by JUST for Finale!! On GM mode, it works like a dream with Finale!

But then again, I only use Finale for vocal arrangements and simple instrumental arrangements.

And I LOVE the Finale program! Been using it since 1998!

I must say that I am deeply impressed with how people can use Finale with GPO so successfully! I mean this in the most positive and respectful way. Whenever I travel to this bulletin board to listen to the MP3's, I hear great music!! And I know that much of that music was produced using GPO coupled with some kind of notation program.

I guess I'm just an "old-fashioned" sequencer (with the humming computer set-up! ) LOL! (See below)

Someday, though, I hope to make the GPO library work with Finale 2006. There's just not enough hours in the day to "problem-solve", especially, in my mind, there's no real "problem". (Except that I can't get GPO to work with Finale without HUGE latency issues.)

Happy composing, notating and sequencing, folks!

Warm regards to you all!

Ted

P. S. Edited to add: I JUST purchased and received the Receptor by Muse Research! Of course I have the GPO on it!! It Works Wonderfully with my happy little computer set up! (And takes a load of my computer's CPU too!).
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I use Finale 2006/c with GPO exclusively.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I'm using Mac Finale 2006. Everything works as it should, but sadly the Mac performance isn't up to par with the Windows side. But that seems to be true for most Mac/GPO setups. If MakeMusic figured out a way to let the user adjust the sample rates (like GPO Studio) my problems would be solved.

Jeff

Go Back to forum