• Register
  • Help

Topic: Electric Eclair

Share/Bookmark

Electric Eclair

This is intended as a quiet relaxation, or at least as close as my music gets to such. The next piece will be quite the opposite.

Electric Eclair
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=83063

The link will lead to three choices.

At the top, you will see a blue button to play the mp3.

Just below that, you will see the score, if you have the Scorch plugin. Otherwise, a blank where the score ought to be. Here you can view the score and listen to the Scorch playback (GM), not a good sound, usually.

Below this, under the heading of details, you will see a choice to download the mp3 file, which is the best choice if you want to hear, and don't have broadband. The mp3 is the GPO Steinway.

Richard

Re: Electric Eclair

Actually, it is rather relaxing -- rather rain-on-the-roof feel to it in places; and the light texture and spacious voicing in much of the writing have a pleasantly open sense, less demanding than some of your more densely constructed work, Richard.

Nice work on this, Richard -- I enjoyed the piece.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Definitely becoming a Wayland fan...

Hi, you definitely have a distinct voice. The way I interpret this piece and your explanation of it is: For me, for this piece to be relaxing, I have to listen to it indirectly. When I listened while focusing on something else I experience relaxation; as though I was listening to the sounds of "nature"; random - not in sync. I do this when I sleep. I have my TV on and turned down low/ The dialog and music become blurred and gives me a sense of relaxation and helps me sleep. Sounds with patterns that repeat like a squeaky fan do NOT help. I hope this makes sense in some way for you. Did I say I really liked the piece? I'm slowly understanding your voice; or at least from my perspective as the listener.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Well, David & Michael, you both have got the idea right on. The rain analogy is quite accurate, and I use something of the sort fairly often, although I achieve it by various means. There is a passage which recurs throughout, in one form or another, and it was carefully written a sixteenth not offset from the beat, which retains it's smooth character while adding to the feeling of randomness. All in all, it was quite a difficult piece to write. It gained considerably by judicious application of the composer's best tool, the eraser or electronic equivalent. After I finished it for about the 40th time, I cut it by two minutes, then thinned the remaining score, mostly by erasing a measure or so here and there in the treble, to make it feel lighter and less demanding.

It is always hard for me to get the harmonic structure that I want without assuming pianists with gargantuan hands, and I spent hours compensating over sized chords!

My next piece, which will be available in an hour or so, is quite as thin, but much more driving.

Richard

Go Back to forum