• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: Suite for Wind Quintet

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Suite for Wind Quintet

    This is a short suite for woodwind quintet. It's the 5th in a series of these suite I've composed. Most of them are explorations of gradual thematic development - each brief movement generates some pivotal element of the subsequant movement, either harmonic or melodic.

    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...rd1Prelude.mp3
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...rd2Canzona.mp3
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...rd3Scherzo.mp3
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...rd4Lamento.mp3
    http://evensongmusic.net/audio/qccow...ward5Dance.mp3

    The previous suites in the set are numbers 1 and 2 for solo piano (actually withdrawn from my catalogue), number 3 for English Horn and Clarinet in A, number 4 for solo cello (getting a major revision in the nest few months), and this fifth one.
    Is anyone noticing a trend with the numbering?
    #1... for one piano
    #2 for two hands
    #3 for 3 reeds (well, the english horn is a double reed)
    #4 for 4 strings
    and
    #5 for 5 winds.

  2. #2

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    Is anyone noticing a trend with the numbering?
    Yeah, the numbers are growing. Do I wind something?

    So, what's number 6 going to be? Brass quartet and a tap dancer?

  3. #3

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet

    I've said it before, so it shouldn't come as a surprise: Me like zis musik! Keep'em comin'!!!

  4. #4

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I've said it before, so it shouldn't come as a surprise: Me like zis musik! Keep'em comin'!!!

    LOL
    it's nice to have a fan club.

    well, Nickie, I haven't decided if there IS going to be a 6th suite... I've been concentrating on larger-scale works these last few years. I'm presently planning my next symphony "Sinfonia Canadensis", and I still have an opera project in the works.
    I'd actually love to write a cello concerto. I can hardly wait for GPO advanced to come out... I need harmonics and col legnos...
    HINT HINT HINT!!!!!! Gary? Anyone?

  5. #5

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I'm presently planning my next symphony "Sinfonia Canadensis", and I still have an opera project in the works.
    Aah, that would be the one with the Branta Canadensis goose-honk, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I'd actually love to write a cello concerto. I can hardly wait for GPO advanced to come out... I need harmonics and col legnos...
    HINT HINT HINT!!!!!! Gary? Anyone?
    No, no, no, no ... what you are waiting for is the solo cello equivalent of the solo Stradivarius violin. For the solo part. And, of course, GPOA for the orchestra. We're all waiting for GPOA.

  6. #6

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Aah, that would be the one with the Branta Canadensis goose-honk, right?

    No, no, no, no ... what you are waiting for is the solo cello equivalent of the solo Stradivarius violin. For the solo part. And, of course, GPOA for the orchestra. We're all waiting for GPOA.
    I was thinking more of having the entire woodwind section repeat "want a brew, eh?" for the entire duration of the scherzo....

    And if the cello equivalent of the stradivari violin works in Finale, I'll take it.
    I'm one of those who won't be able to take the time to start learning new software (in other words, a sequencer). Any and all recordings I make using GPO will be done in Finale 2006 (or '07 whenever that comes out...).

  7. #7

    Thumbs up Re: Suite for Wind Quintet

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    This is a short suite for woodwind quintet. It's the 5th in a series of these suite I've composed. Most of them are explorations of gradual thematic development - each brief movement generates some pivotal element of the subsequant movement, either harmonic or melodic.
    YOUNG AND/OR BEGINNING COMPOSERS, LISTEN to these!

    These little minitures are finely crafted, and each is complete in themselves...

    I would encourage beginning composers to write first in smaller forms like this and learn how to craft a SMALL piece well

    Even if the harmonies are not in your "style" one has to agree that the craftsmanship is superb!

    Bravo, Michel!

  8. #8

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet

    Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    YOUNG AND/OR BEGINNING COMPOSERS, LISTEN to these!

    These little minitures are finely crafted, and each is complete in themselves...

    I would encourage beginning composers to write first in smaller forms like this and learn how to craft a SMALL piece well

    Even if the harmonies are not in your "style" one has to agree that the craftsmanship is superb!

    Bravo, Michel!
    jeeze you guys are embarassing me!!!!!!

  9. #9

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet - BRAVO!

    Superb craftsmanship in the writing of these! -- Not to mention, an excellent, thoroughly enjoyable suite.

    May I say, unreservedly:

    BRAVO!

    Per Jonathan's comments (above) -- a good listen and lesson not just for new composers, but all composers... well balanced, and emminently well thought through, throughout.

    Compositionally, this is top-flight work in every regard.

    With admiration,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  10. #10

    Re: Suite for Wind Quintet - BRAVO!

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Superb craftsmanship in the writing of these! -- Not to mention, an excellent, thoroughly enjoyable suite.

    May I say, unreservedly:

    BRAVO!

    Per Jonathan's comments (above) -- a good listen and lesson not just for new composers, but all composers... well balanced, and emminently well thought through, throughout.

    Compositionally, this is top-flight work in every regard.

    With admiration,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    thank-you.
    I'm very moved by the response that my pieces have been getting.
    now, if only I could get all of you guys on the juries when I submit works to major competitions!!!!
    For some strange reason, I'm not terribly popular with competition juries

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •