• Register
  • Help

Topic: VESPERTINE - Post Romanticism; Modified Passicaglia c mi.

Share/Bookmark

Vespertine

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com
    Last edited by Michael A. Wiktor; 11-13-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: UPDATED
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Re: VESPERTINE - Post Romanticism; Modified Passicaglia c mi.

You never disappoint, Mr. Wiktor!

And I wouldn't worry for a moment about "strict form". There is an organic development to your work that is precisely fitting for the evolution of the materials. If you "straight-jacket" this kind of writing into a tight form, I don't think it would be nearly as successful in terms of flow and overall impact.

Excellent work on this, once again!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Post Scriptum:
    A larger font face would be nice in your posts for us old dudes with shrinking eyeballs... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Wow David, that was fast. I just got done editing some spelling mistakes. Thank you for the kind comments. They impact me greatly; especially coming from a professional such as yourself. Any thoughts on imagery? Just curious, no pressure. This one puzzles me...
    Again, thanks for taking the time.

Michael

P.S. How's the font?
    Thanks on the font, Michael... lol. I and other old-eyeballed humans appreciate that.

Michael, you're doing excellent work, and it merits the comments.

As for imagery -- you will note I rarely if ever comment on that more than very, very generally... music conjures no verbally definable pictures for me.

Does it reach me with ideation and emotive response? Most certainly it does! But to put it into words? I would not begin to know how; and any attempt on my part to do so would disserve such fine material.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Michael

Captivating work! Like David says, it's hard to describe the imagination in words. For me too ! But suffice to say that it DOES take one on some kind of imaginary journey.....

I enjoyed this a lot. Beautiful sound and dynamics in the mix.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

I didn't hear the original but have listened to this version a couple of times through. You were asking imagery... Some music brings specific things to mind, other music does not. This piece makes me think of a mystery movie, sometimes dark but yet with a slyly funny side at times, set in Victorian England. Don't ask me why, that's just what I hear.

Anyway, enjoyable music.
    Trent P. McDonald

I loved it Michael. Like Trent I don't remember the original, but the ideas are very clear.

Maybe you could fill us in a little bit on what specifically what kinds of things you changed or things you're working on with Andrew Lee. By listening to your music it's going well!
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Sure,

Rhythms consolidation: I had large complex areas in the score that had triplet over duple. In a performance situation, at that complexity, would sound "sloppy". But obviously would be ok in softer/simplistic areas of the score.

Added more bass instruments. Bass doubling the cello. Bass pizz. More tuba and contra bassoon. For some reason, back in the day, I would always ignore the bass department of the orchestra.??

Dynamic simplification: Sometimes, according to Andrew, I would be a "bit fussy" w/ dynamic markings.

Clarity of melodic lines... unison and doubling. "Did a little weed whacking..."

Using accents and articulation markings ... better. staccato, staccato w/ accent, legato accent, etc.

Using auxiliary instruments and proper percussion scoring...

...hope this helps.

M
    Yeah that's great. It sounds well balanced in my opinion. Your rendering is good as well, but I've always thought you were good at that.
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

Really marvellous! Don't know how you did this, but your renderings of the Garritan Strings is just wonderful. Besides that, the whole piece is just a proof of a very talented person.

Raymond

Go Back to forum