• Register
  • Help

Topic: Organizing Sample Folders

Organizing Sample Folders

Whats the best folder setup for storing all your smaples?

Should i organize them by Company, Format, or by type of instrument? or a combination?

Exclamation Re: Organizing Sample Folders

I have all of mine done by instrument. Guitars, basses etc.
    MotuHari--DP 4.61, Reason, Stylus RMX, Kontakt2, VGEE, GPO, Mac B&W G3w/G4 Upgrade, Keystation Pro 88

Re: Organizing Sample Folders

I have mine organized by collection, e.g.:

EastWest Orchestra/
    Big Fish First Call Horns/
    Kontakt Experience/

I know where I've spent my money so that's how I organize the sample folder. Also one thing to note is that the encoded Kontakt/Kompakt Player libraries (like EW, Big Fish, etc.) can't really be split up, so it's not like I can take the trumpets from FCH and EWQLSO and put them in the same folder, because they won't find their respective samples. So I leave everything organized by sample package, the way they were originally downloaded.

I created a few catch-all folders, like "Pianos." In my Pianos folder I put all the various pianos I have -- some of which I downloaded from the internet, some of which I converted from Akai or Giga CD's, and so on...

So I guess I use a combination of the two methods. Pre-built sample collections stay organized by sample collection. Then some instrument-based folders contain instruments from a variety of sources.

It's all up to you and what makes most sense to you, but I find that I'm easily able to navigate around my library and quickly find the stuff I need, since I organized it myself.

Go Back to forum