• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do I print my Sonar 5 music files in PDF format?

Share/Bookmark

How do I print my Sonar 5 music files in PDF format?

Fellow Music Folks,

Can anyone tell me how I can convert my Cakewalk Sonar 5 music files to Adobe PDF format? I would like to make some of my music available in this form to forum members who would like to have it.

The music printing function of Sonar is not very good, to say the least. I can print my music files but only in the proprietary Sonar format and I don't know how to convert that format to PDF, if indeed it is possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: How do I print my Sonar 5 music files in PDF format?

I use Adobe Acrobat to create PDFs. When I first bought it, it was the only option, but I hear that there are now several free utilities available. I've never used Cute PDF, but I've heard it gives good results.

Whatever you use, after you install it, it shows up in your print dialogue as an optional printer. In other words, you print your file as usual, but select your PDF program as the destination printer. The program then converts the file, and you can print it normally after that. Everything should be this easy!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I use Adobe Acrobat to create PDFs. When I first bought it, it was the only option, but I hear that there are now several free utilities available. I've never used Cute PDF, but I've heard it gives good results.

Whatever you use, after you install it, it shows up in your print dialogue as an optional printer. In other words, you print your file as usual, but select your PDF program as the destination printer. The program then converts the file, and you can print it normally after that. Everything should be this easy!
    Thanks, Dan, but I don't need to be able to print PDF files for myself. I would like to be able to actually convert my Sonar 5 music files to PDF format so that I could post them on the Garritan forum and other people could have my music for printing purposes.

I tried to make the "Cute PDF" program work but I couldn't get it to show up in my printing choices in Sonar no matter what I did.

Thanks and regards,

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Possibly another option is to print to the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer (If you have Office 2003). Might not work though...I'm curious myself - gunna try it. Other than that, yea, a PDF solution might be best, a screen shot (tiring for large scores), or print it all out - scan it back in...
    Good question...

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Fellow Music Folks,

Can anyone tell me how I can convert my Cakewalk Sonar 5 music files to Adobe PDF format? I would like to make some of my music available in this form to forum members who would like to have it.

The music printing function of Sonar is not very good, to say the least. I can print my music files but only in the proprietary Sonar format and I don't know how to convert that format to PDF, if indeed it is possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Well, Primo ought to work. But it will still look just like Sonar.

http://www.primopdf.com/

Richard

added:

I just tested Primo on a Sonar 4 file. Works properly. There is a downloadable user manual. But the main idea is this: select print, then select which printer (primo) which will then allow you to print to a PDF file. But there is nothing you can do to change the appearance. To do that, you will need to save you Sonar file as .mid and import to Sibelius or something, which is not exactly simple if you have not used Sibelius (or whatever). All the pdf file will do is enable you to pass the score around easier.

Larry,

Do you want to look at this?

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

But I don't think it will make you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    Larry,

Do you want to look at this?

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

But I don't think it will make you feel better.
    Cor blimey! This bloke doesn't like PDF, does he?

Thanks for the link.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, Primo ought to work. But it will still look just like Sonar.

http://www.primopdf.com/

Richard

added:

I just tested Primo on a Sonar 4 file. Works properly. There is a downloadable user manual. But the main idea is this: select print, then select which printer (primo) which will then allow you to print to a PDF file. But there is nothing you can do to change the appearance. To do that, you will need to save you Sonar file as .mid and import to Sibelius or something, which is not exactly simple if you have not used Sibelius (or whatever). All the pdf file will do is enable you to pass the score around easier.
    I don't own Sibelius (or whatever) but thanks for the info anyway. I'll check out the Primo.

Regards,

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Possibly another option is to print to the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer (If you have Office 2003). Might not work though...I'm curious myself - gunna try it. Other than that, yea, a PDF solution might be best, a screen shot (tiring for large scores), or print it all out - scan it back in...
    Good question...

Brian,

Please let me know if you get some good results.

Thanks muchly,

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I use the freeware package PDF995.

http://pdf995.com/

You'll have to read the instructions carefully to install it properly.

PDF995 shows up on your Windows computer as a printer. So when you use the File:Print command, in the Print dialog box you have to pull down the list under Printers and select "PDF995" instead of your usual printer.

Works great.

PDF995 is free, but every time you use it, your browser opens up and displays one page of advertising. Note that this is NOT spyware or adware as nothing malicious or hidden gets installed on your computer (believe me, I'm concerned about this stuff). If you like PDF995, you can pay $19.95 for a copy that will not display an ad each time it's used.

Go Back to forum