• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logo Theme... Impressions?

Share/Bookmark

Logo Theme... Impressions?

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to compose a 25'' orchestral theme for an italian media company logo. Here's the result:

Logo Theme

What do you think? Libraries used are VSL, SAM Horns, VOTA and Stormdrum (there's also a Bosendorfer 290 piano but it's almost buried). Comments and suggestions about both the musical content and the sampling/mixing/mastering process are very welcome!

Thanks,

Luca Antonini
    GH Music

Re: Logo Theme... Impressions?

As I said on the VSL forum.

Perfect.

Smile Re: Logo Theme... Impressions?

Senza vedere il video posso solo intuire che ha una sua dinamica. Questo potrebbe giustificare una transizione un po' brusca/slegata al finale, che altrimenti avrei ammorbidito un pelo.

Nel complesso il sound è degno di un logo

Complimenti, ciao

FV

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    As I said on the VSL forum.

Perfect.
    Well, a double "thank you" Christian for both your replies!
    And sorry for the cross-post... probably I should avoid doing that, considering that the two forums share so many users.

(By the way, I am going to violate another netiquette rule right now, replying to Fabio in italian...)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Senza vedere il video posso solo intuire che ha una sua dinamica. Questo potrebbe giustificare una transizione un po' brusca/slegata al finale, che altrimenti avrei ammorbidito un pelo.
    Ciao Fabio! In effetti il passaggio all'ultimo crescendo è un po' slegato, ma nel video in corrispondenza dell'abbassamento di volume a 17'' lo schermo torna per un attimo quasi nero, prima del fade-in finale del logo. Purtroppo non credo di poter mettere online il video, non ancora almeno... ma grazie mille comunque dei consigli!

P.S. Tu vivi in Italia, vero?

Luca Antonini
    GH Music

Nice work, but...
    it reminds me a little bit of the main theme of "Jurassic Park", the scene at the beginning of the film where the bird (or helicopter) flies through the canon.

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

My opinion : the sound is great, near perfect,I assume that you have EWQLSO as well if I remember: what made you chose the VSL+ Sam for this cue if I may ask ?

About the music itself : the theme is very good and perfect for a logo in the hollywood style, I like your JW like chord progression.
    But the third chord (Gmaj) sounds a little "empty", I think there is an harmonic gap that could be filled in the upper register ( maybe some more w.wind flourish could do that : you can add them from the very begining because with sustained notes they can't match the strings and Trb), it's not the chord itself because it's played by the 3 trbones but the fact that the very strong G on both violins and basses generates a unison that comes again on the next chord in E.
    It's just a matter of orchestration : how to make a three note chord to sound the best.
    The ending is maybe a little abrupt : one option would be to repeat the first 4 notes of the theme before the final chord if you have the time for that of course !

Anyway that's only my 2 cents, good work and impressive sound overall.

Alex

In one word, Beautiful..........

Ok... I'll try to reply to everyone... this is going to be quite long!

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    Nice work, but...
    it reminds me a little bit of the main theme of "Jurassic Park", the scene at the beginning of the film where the bird (or helicopter) flies through the canon.
    I've taken a look at the scene you're talking about and... wow, I take that as a compliment! That's one of the most successful and well-known themes Williams ever composed, a "film music collection blockbuster"! I really doubt anyone could rip it off, consciously or not! Anyway, I couldn't find any real similarity except for the overall "sound", and that's why your comment makes me happy... One thing is certain: HIS theme is much better under every aspect, and especially far better orchestrated than mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicmu
    My opinion : the sound is great, near perfect,I assume that you have EWQLSO as well if I remember: what made you chose the VSL+ Sam for this cue if I may ask ?
    You remember correctly... I choose VSL because I find it somewhat easier and quicker to work with VSL strings than with EWQLSO ones. And also because I love their legato, and this particular theme could greatly benefit from it. But you made me remember that in my first post I was partially wrong: I did not use SAM Horns (as I usually do), but EWQLSO Brass for French Horns, Trumpets and Trombones. SAM is there only for the two Horn Glissandos at 14''.

About the music itself : the theme is very good and perfect for a logo in the hollywood style, I like your JW like chord progression.
    But the third chord (Gmaj) sounds a little "empty", I think there is an harmonic gap that could be filled in the upper register ( maybe some more w.wind flourish could do that : you can add them from the very begining because with sustained notes they can't match the strings and Trb), it's not the chord itself because it's played by the 3 trbones but the fact that the very strong G on both violins and basses generates a unison that comes again on the next chord in E. It's just a matter of orchestration : how to make a three note chord to sound the best.
    The ending is maybe a little abrupt : one option would be to repeat the first 4 notes of the theme before the final chord if you have the time for that of course !
    Well, that's what I call "a lot of useful feedback"! Thanks for the very interesting suggestions... I agree with almost everything you've pointed out. The emptyness of the 3rd and 4th chords comes from that parallel octave but it can be "filled" with a better orchestration. I've tried some inversions to avoid that movement but I didn't like the resulting harmony. I'll experiment something with brass & woodwinds to fill that gap...
    About the abrupt ending... you're right again. As I wrote to Fabio (ehm... in italian) I tried to sync the orchestral dynamics to the video, and there is a sudden near black-out at 17'', just before the final logo fades in. But I could try to soften that a little anyway.

Thanks again for your advice, I do really appreciate it!

I like your JW like chord progression
    That made me think, especially if combined with jovan's comment. I actually didn't realize that this theme was going to sound "Williamsesque". When I hear a E - A - G - E - A - D - C# progression (all basic major triads except for the sus4 cadenza on C#), I think about Bon Jovi or Ligabue (an italian songwriter)... not JW!
    Maybe I should listen to orchestral soundtracks more often and throw my rock CDs in a drawer for a while! Ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by mech289
    In one word, Beautiful..........
    Thank you Mech! For both your replies...

Luca Antonini

Thumbs up Re: Logo Theme... Impressions?

Great piece, Luca. Sure it blends perfect with the images.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Eureka! The Hollywood Sound!

Very nice.

-JF

Go Back to forum