• Register
  • Help

Topic: fat32 to NTFS?

Share/Bookmark

Question fat32 to NTFS?

Is there any indication as to why i should not do this on a GIGA3 system?

The reason is i screwed up my installation and have my system drive in fat32 and my sample drive in NTFS, now I'm not sure if i should change that or not? My first guess is it should be O.K. if i leave it as it is since cause i will only play samples with that system(no effect), i will just have to defrag more often i guess. What do you think? Should i do it or not?

Thanks.

Re: fat32 to NTFS?

If I remember correctly, defragmentation takes muuuch longer on fat 32.
    I also think that ntfs provides a little bit more performance over fat32.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Quote Originally Posted by Przemek K.
    If I remember correctly, defragmentation takes muuuch longer on fat 32.
    I also think that ntfs provides a little bit more performance over fat32.
    Thanks for confirming this but i mostly wonder if it will screw up Giga now that it's install.

Thanks.

I believe that you will need to reformat the drive to go from FAT32 to NTFS. If it's a sample drive, then Giga will simply think you removed the old drive and added a new one. If it's the OS/Applicaiton drive then you have a re-install everything anyway.

I'd upgrade my FAT sample drives to NTFS, as long as I had an easy way to copy the samples someplace and then copy them back. I'd probably skip reformatting the OS drive, unless the machine was a mess and needed to be cleaned up.

Back in the W95 and W98 days I was continually rebuilding my OS drives, since the systems just seemed to degrade. XP is much more robust, so there's not so much need. But there's also the hassle of authentication now, so that's yet another reason to live with the OS as is...

-JF

Thank you Jon, my friend told me that it can be done, but somehow i have a feeling Giga wont like it. I'll probably leave it as it is but will let you know if i decide to risk it...

P.S. I wonder if that could explain why my samples folders appear in the opposite order as my other system .(It's my system drive BTW)

Thanks again Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    Thank you Jon, my friend told me that it can be done, but...
    I think your friend may be right, but I'd avoid doing anything like that to a drive with valuable data on it. Might as well copy it off, reformat and copy it back on.

P.S. I wonder if that could explain why my samples folders appear in the opposite order as my other system...
    I've no idea...

-JF

There's a command-line utility in XP that'll convert a fat32 drive to ntfs without reformatting. The command to convert a D: drive would be:

Code:
    convert D: /fs:ntfs
    If it's a sample drive and you don't have all the original media handy, good idea to back it up first. I think with fat32 the maximum logical disk size is 32 gig and no one file can be bigger than 4 gig.

Howard

Thanks Jon and Howard.

What really bugs me is the fact that my folders appear in opposite order cause that's a little confusing ......oh well, maybe I'll try the commend and see if that fix it, or will reinstall the all thing and hope for the best...it's too irritating to have this in the opposite order.

Thanks again guys.

Another product you may want to consider is PartitionMagic (hmm looks like Symantec owns it now). It has been extremely useful for me - resizing partitions, converting partitions (even cluster sizes), all with no reformatting necessary, easy to use.

Rob

O.K. i did the command and everything seems to work but you have to disable authorize rapid surch..., as for my folders being in the opposite order-i changed that somewhere in windows, o completely forgot about that one

robh
    Another product you may want to consider is PartitionMagic
    Thanks for the suggestion but i don't think i need it.

Thanks everyone for your help and a special thanks to howardv. And you are right Jon win xp is much more robust than win98...i still have nightmare about that one

Geronimo.

Go Back to forum