• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CC convertor?

Share/Bookmark

CC convertor?

Hi guys,
    I have a Fatar 880 controller and it only has sustain and volume pedals. I am looking for a way to convert the CC7 data from the volume pedal to CC11 data to work with the Strad. I have tried bome's midi translator and it is not working correctly. Any one else have an idea where such an app could be found?

Thanks

CH

Re: CC convertor?

Most sequencers have a plugin that can do this. For instance, in Digital Performer it's called "Reassign Continuous Data". You can change any controller to any other controller.

I am doing exactly that with my M-audio Keystation 61es and Cubase SX. Keystation has a slider for volume (CC7) which is converted in Cubase's "input transformer" to CC11 for the Strad.

And if your sequencer doesn't have a "Reassign Continuous Data" plugin, Markleford does. It's called MFX CC Map.

I am very familiar with the DP feature, "change continuous data" but as far as I knnow, that is only able to convert the data after it has been recorded. I want to change the cc number as it comes into DP, so that the correct data can be recorded and heard in real time. For instance, I have a volume pedal connected to my old Yamaha KX-88 controller keyboard, and I want to send expression (cc11) to the Strad violin. That keyboard has a default as mod wheel (cc11) don't ask me why. Any ideas?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    I am very familiar with the DP feature, "change continuous data" but as far as I knnow, that is only able to convert the data after it has been recorded. I want to change the cc number as it comes into DP, so that the correct data can be recorded and heard in real time. For instance, I have a volume pedal connected to my old Yamaha KX-88 controller keyboard, and I want to send expression (cc11) to the Strad violin. That keyboard has a default as mod wheel (cc11) don't ask me why. Any ideas?
    Dan

Should be a way to do this easily with DP. I'll check when I get in front of my keyboard.

DPDan,

Just works like one would expect it to. Put K2 with strad in the V-Rack. Add a reassign continuous data insert into the midi channel that has your keyboard as input. Reassign your continuous data channel in that insert and record enable that channel.

dbudde,
    thanks I am using the Strad on a separate PC computer, and I want to record the correct data into the midi track, and for some reason, I am not able to do that, even with reassinging the CC number in the "change continuos data" in preferences.
    Weird!
    Thanks for your help though.

Dan

Dan you can do what you need with two midi tracks.

track1 in - keyboard
    track1 out - IAC1
    track2 in - IAC1
    track2 out - Kontakt.

On track1 insert Reassign continuous controller and set it to whatever you need.

Uh... I'm not really an expert in any of this, but couldn't you use something like MungRack to do what you want to do? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

MungRack is found here: http://www.asseca.com/nicfit/mungrack.html

I use it in energy-XT to get aftertouch support, because, well... it doesn't do aftertouch. Yet.

Now, I don't know how it would work in other hosts, but in XT I just add a MungRack which converts aftertouch to CC127, and then I feed it into the sequencer from the master input. That way, every track is subject to the aftertouch->CC127 conversion, and I only have to add a MungRack for each of the individual tracks which will require the CC127->aftertouch conversion in order to recognize 127 as aftertouch and applies the MIDI data appropriately.

So, on my controller, I just assign a knob to CC127, and when I play my line in and twist the knob, it's like applying aftertouch!

You could easily use MungRack to change CC7 to CC11, or any other kind of MIDI data to any other kind of MIDI data.

Right? Right?!

Does this make any sense?

-Tom

P.S. MungRack might seem daunting to use at first. Read the manual, it explains things nicely, and if you still need help PM me.
    P.P.S. In my example above, CC127 could be ANYTHING... I just chose a weird, out-of-the-way CC so I could remember it easier.

Go Back to forum