• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB and Finale

Share/Bookmark

JABB and Finale

I'm trying to decide whether to invest in the Garritan JABB package. I do note entry using Finale, not by playing the music on a MIDI keyboard. Can anybody give me a sense of (1) how well does Finale's "Human Playback" interpret markings so as to take advantage of JABB capabilities, and (2) where Human Playback does not do an adequate job, how feasible is it to tweak the playback so as to use the JABB effects ti their best advantage without actually playing in the music on a keyboard?

Thanks.

Rob Rothman

Re: JABB and Finale

Rob,

Do a search of the forum using Finale JABB as keywords. You'll be able to hear for yourself the type of results people are getting directly from Finale. JABB came out after Finale 2006, so it isn't optimized for it yet. But it will play dynamics, articulations, hairpins, slurs correctly. I'd assume that Finale 2007 will include many of the automatic keyswitching expressions for JABB, similiar to what was done with GPO.

As for HP's interpretation, you can judge that just using Finale's softsynth. You can hear if Finale will give you the right amount of jazz feel (swing) that you're looking for.

You don't need to play it from a keyboard. Speedy or simple note entry work fine. But you might need to use Finale's midi tool to tweak different parameters. If you haven't used the midi tool before, it's not the most user friendly part of the program. But it is doable.

I guess it all depends on the amount of time you want to invest in tweaking the playback. The more you put into it, the better it will sound. Also what are your expectations? If you want playback to use as a way of proof-hearing your music before you give it to live musicians, then it's really easy to use.

If you want a realistic recording, be prepared to put a lot of time into it. The more detailed your Finale score is, the better playback will sound. That means articulations, dynamics, phrase markings, hairpins all over the place. The more information you put into the score, the better results you will get.

Read as many posts as you can about the Finale/JABB combination. The more information you have, you'll be able to make wiser choices.

That said, it'll be the best $249 you've spent in a long time.

Jeff

Question Re: JABB and Finale

Jeff, I wonder if you could help me concerning finale "seeing" JABB? I was told that finale 2006 (after the updates installed) finale would show JABB. However, I fail to see it anywhere. I thought it be in the drop down menu in the set up window. Unfortunately it is not.
    Any clue as to what may be happening or? I did email MakeMusic tech support yet haven't received and answer so far.
    Thanks
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Jeff, I wonder if you could help me concerning finale "seeing" JABB? I was told that finale 2006 (after the updates installed) finale would show JABB. However, I fail to see it anywhere. I thought it be in the drop down menu in the set up window. Unfortunately it is not.
    Any clue as to what may be happening or? I did email MakeMusic tech support yet haven't received and answer so far.
    Thanks
    Styx,

I'm on a Mac and it just worked without me doing anything besides the normal installation. Other Windows users will have to give you specifics, but make sure when you installed JABB that the notation folder was also installed. That's the one Finale sees. And make sure you have the most recent Finale 2006 update, either 2006c or 2006d.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. It appears the updates took and I have finale 2006c. As for the JABB
    notation folder was also installed
    I haven't a clue. All I see is the following folders, DXi, Garritan Jazz Big Band Library, html, Readme, Garritan Jazz, Install, Jazz Manual, AOL read me (is that supposed to be there?), Registration Tool and UNWISE. Is it in a subfolder and if it is how does one, wait ... you already stated you use Mac. Sorry, I got carried away.
    Anyone else can help me finger this one out?
    Styxx

Just open JABB standalone and click the LOAD button. You'll see all of the instrument categories, and #9 is Notation. If you don't see that, then you need to go back to your JABB disks and do a custom install of the notation folder.

Jeff

OK Jeffer 'ol pal ... ya did it! Thanks for all the great help! It's right where it should be. I'm happy! Now to hear the sounds.
    Styxx

As long as your midi channels are assigned to the corresponding slots in the Kontakt player and "Play thru Native Instruments" is selected, then you should hear sounds. If you use the setup wizard to create a score, everything will be assigned correctly. You can also use the setup wizard to create a score using both GPO and JABB at the same time.

Now you just have to concentrate on learning Finale.

Thangs get easier after the first 10 years.

Jeff

Go Back to forum