• Register
  • Help

Topic: Copy Protection ID Keys

Share/Bookmark

Question Copy Protection ID Keys

Hi all!

I made the mistake of thinking I could protect my G5 well enough to travel on the plane. It was too big for a carry-on so I wrapped and protected it in a way that a nuclear bomb could not have penetrated. Unfortunatly, the guys who load luggage happen to be worse than any nuclear weapon.

I am needing to travel with it again and am considering just renting a computer at my destination and bringing my hard drives (internal SATA) with me. The question I have is pertains to my libraries that required authorization via hardware ID key (EW, GPO, etc...). Is the hardware ID they use for copy protection tied to the hard drive or the actual computer?

I'm concerned that if I bring just my hard drives that I'll be out of luck when interfacing them with a foreign computer. Anybody had experience with this, or have any suggestion/advice on the matter? Thanks so much!

Best! -Tweed

Re: Copy Protection ID Keys

It will not work with ew....i don't know about the others.

Dongle seem to be the key for you .

Good luck!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It won't work on most hardware ID schemes, because they tend to roll the processor into the ID.

I suggest a very nice flight case with good foam. I have found over years of flying with gear that you want to make it a total no-brainer. If the flight case is too large and heavy to lift, make sure it has a nice permanent casterboard with top-shelf casters, and flight-handles on the sides so that two people can easily lift it.

You want to make it absolutely easy to handle your gear with care. Of course it doesn't work 100% of the time, but it works almost 100%.

One of the worst experiences of my life was flying home from a gig. I changed planes and as we were backing out of the gate, in pouring rain, I saw five or six of my flight cases sitting out in the rain. I was told nothing could be done until I arrived back in Dallas, and sure enough, they'd overpacked the plane's cargo area, and there was not enough room for my stuff.

When it came on the next plane, it was loaded up into trucks and brought to my house, and everything was dry and perfectly fine. That's when it really hit me that there's a reason they call them flight cases.

I was just gonna suggest that, have yourself build a road case with handle and wheels whit a removable front and back cover...that's what i would do and it's not that expensive and well worth the investment. I would probably end up leaving it in its case and just plug it in....

Thanks for the help guys.

I think you're on the right track to assume I can use my own machine as long as I invest in the proper way of getting it around. I've come across a couple of sites that seem to have solutions built specifically for my rig.

Bruce, I felt your pain as I was picturing your gear out in the rain. Must have been some hard waiting to see what happened with 'em. Glad for the good news and encouragement!

Again, thanks for the solid advice. I know my machine well and really wanted to use it instead of having to fool with another machine.

Best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedbox
    Hi all!

I made the mistake of thinking I could protect my G5 well enough to travel on the plane. It was too big for a carry-on so I wrapped and protected it in a way that a nuclear bomb could not have penetrated. Unfortunatly, the guys who load luggage happen to be worse than any nuclear weapon.

I am needing to travel with it again and am considering just renting a computer at my destination and bringing my hard drives (internal SATA) with me. The question I have is pertains to my libraries that required authorization via hardware ID key (EW, GPO, etc...). Is the hardware ID they use for copy protection tied to the hard drive or the actual computer?

I'm concerned that if I bring just my hard drives that I'll be out of luck when interfacing them with a foreign computer. Anybody had experience with this, or have any suggestion/advice on the matter? Thanks so much!

Best! -Tweed
    Tweed,
    Is it worth investing in a smart new 'G6' intel laptop, and taking it on the flight with you? It'd be powerful enough while you're away from the farm wouldn't it?
    Surely an easier way to fly.

Regards,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Tweed,
    Is it worth investing in a smart new 'G6' intel laptop, and taking it on the flight with you? It'd be powerful enough while you're away from the farm wouldn't it?
    Surely an easier way to fly.

Regards,

Alex.
    Nope...That wouldn't work with any of his instruments. ALL plug-in software and music software hosts have to be updated to run on the new Intel Macs.

That's going to be a long process too....don't expect full compatibility for every product you want to use in 2006. It's going to take time for the whole music software industry to catch up to Apple's new hardware platform.

No matter what case you get, I'd still pop the harddrives out and carry them with you. Baring that you're not a terrorist I'd think they'd be safest with you onboard because you know what's at stake. Take some of the worry out anyway!
    Later

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Tweed,
    Is it worth investing in a smart new 'G6' intel laptop, and taking it on the flight with you? It'd be powerful enough while you're away from the farm wouldn't it? Surely an easier way to fly.
    That was a short-lived consideration until the epiphany that I'd be incompatible on too many fronts (as Eric pointed out). It's going to be a bit of a tangle for all of that to iron out.

Quote Originally Posted by seclusion
    No matter what case you get, I'd still pop the harddrives out and carry them with you.
    Agreed! That'd be the piece of mind.

Thanks again to all for the wisdom! -Tweed

Go Back to forum