• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius help please

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius help please

i'm new to sibelius, so maybe this is simple. I created a simple piano score using (computer) keyboard input. (no midi) and added accents where needed, but i noticed some irregularity in the velocities being played back. i exported the score to a midi file then imported into protools and i found that the velocities were not at all consistant. some accents were all the way to the top, and some wer just a little higher. and all unaccented notes have a pretty random velocity, it's not all over the place, but it's not at all consistant. any ideas why the velocities are so random?
    thanks

Re: Sibelius help please

Quote Originally Posted by conwaylemmon
    i'm new to sibelius, so maybe this is simple. I created a simple piano score using (computer) keyboard input. (no midi) and added accents where needed, but i noticed some irregularity in the velocities being played back. i exported the score to a midi file then imported into protools and i found that the velocities were not at all consistant. some accents were all the way to the top, and some wer just a little higher. and all unaccented notes have a pretty random velocity, it's not all over the place, but it's not at all consistant. any ideas why the velocities are so random?
    thanks

Go back to your original score, and go to Performance, and turn off the espressivo - set it to meccanico. I know that sounds strange, but my guess is that the playback "interperatation" is inserting MIDI messages into the score, and it does this by manipulating the velocities (at least that is my understanding).

R. Pearl

Re: Sibelius help please

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Go back to your original score, and go to Performance, and turn off the espressivo - set it to meccanico. I know that sounds strange, but my guess is that the playback "interperatation" is inserting MIDI messages into the score, and it does this by manipulating the velocities (at least that is my understanding).

R. Pearl
    hmmm... thanks I'll try that

Go Back to forum