• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar - change note durations

Share/Bookmark

Sonar - change note durations

A quick Sonar question that I am failing to find the answer to...

Having selected a region of notes, how do I change all of the durations/lengths to, say, an eighth note.

The Sonar help refers to a "Note Length" tool or operation, but I cannot find this anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Sonar - change note durations

It's in the "Process" menu under "Length..."
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Jamie - thanks - I did find that one, but it only alters length by a percentage, not to an absolute value.

My workaround at the moment is to quantize all the note lengths in the section, and then use Process-Length to change them all by the same percentage.

It just seems to be a clunky solution.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

My workaround at the moment is to quantize all the note lengths in the section, and then use Process-Length to change them all by the same percentage.
    Well, that is the only method that I have found. Klutzy, but it works.

Richard

All note manipulation tools are available after highlighting notes. Just right-click. Length should have 2 settings, percentage and absolute length.

Stevemitchell

There is a length box that comes up on the toolbar somewhere. You can type an absolute value there. If I remember correctly, I have had it act a little buggy from time to time (not accepting values), but it should work.

There is also probably a CAL script to set lengths, but I can't check as I'm away from my DAW.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum