• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Your opinion on KH Virtuoso Strings

Share/Bookmark

Your opinion on KH Virtuoso Strings

I am always asking something like this , but i like to make sure my money is spent wisely.

I am mainly looking for some , lush, emotional strings to layer on top of things rather than a main library( for that I am looking into the VSL VI, because I can get a job soon ) . Can anyone comment on the sound of these? At the price I figure why not, I could probably use them anyway. This question is usually answered by the demos, but the demos for this library are really short, and don't sound too great (although people have said that this library is wonderful).

ANd i might but ultimate strings from eastwest cause they're $20 now, and i really like the sound of the long marcatos and pizzicato. Only problem is that they are roland...

I'd appriciate your comments
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Re: Your opinion on KH Virtuoso Strings

My favorite are VSL but KH solo str. sound really good too, if you're looking for solo strings to layer, then KH solo str. should be enough and you should "really" look into KHSO Emerald which contains most of the solo strings at a ridiculous price $250(K2 format) for 25 GB of samples....I cant see how this could be a bad investment for the price.

Oh just to clarify i'm asking about the string ensembles, sot the solo strings. I possibly would invest in them sometime, but not at the moment.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    Oh just to clarify i'm asking about the string ensembles, sot the solo strings. I possibly would invest in them sometime, but not at the moment.
    Oops! I misread.

Jonathan ,

i have been using them for quite a while in Gigastudio 3.12 and I must say that they served me well over the years.
    it's an older library but it's certainly worth every penny..( $20 ????..wow..)
    I do a lot of stuff in rock/ pop I i really like it's tone for that type of music. It just responds well to the dynamics i'm trying to acheive when there's a lot of guitars involved in the mix.

I know that Emerald is suppose to be fantastic but for $20..you can't go wrong..Grab a copy and enjoy!

Yves

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    I am always asking something like this , but i like to make sure my money is spent wisely.

I am mainly looking for some , lush, emotional strings to layer on top of things rather than a main library( for that I am looking into the VSL VI, because I can get a job soon ) . Can anyone comment on the sound of these? At the price I figure why not, I could probably use them anyway. This question is usually answered by the demos, but the demos for this library are really short, and don't sound too great (although people have said that this library is wonderful).

ANd i might but ultimate strings from eastwest cause they're $20 now, and i really like the sound of the long marcatos and pizzicato. Only problem is that they are roland...

I'd appriciate your comments
    Jonathan,

I have them and they do sound lush. In fact there's one patch that I use all the time for thick warm strings. You won't be dissapointed, especially for the money!

Plus Kirk Hunter is agreat guy and offers great support!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Kanjika,
    I've had the Kirk Hunter VS for years. And now I've recently bought Opus 1, so I thought I might not be using Kirk Hunter much. But I was wrong. They layer very well with VSL.

Really the patch that layers the best for me is Kirk Hunter's 2 violins esp patch over the VSL 14 violins (with vibrato). The KH brings a more personal feel to the coldness of the VSL and makes the 'new' instrument very versatile. Whereas in the original VSL patch, you are hard pressed to hear individual players through most of the range, the KH patch brings in a little vibrato and thus warmth. I'll post an example snippet after work today of the two together.

Mahlon

One of the things i really like about the Kirk Hunter strings, virtuoso or emerald, is that their range is longer than any other library out there. so if you're doubling a high part, usually that double covers all the notes, whereas in other libraries, those notes don't exist... My advice is just spend the $20 bucks and be happy...

Quote Originally Posted by mahlon
    I'll post an example snippet after work today of the two together.

Mahlon
    That would be nice, and the strings are $50...it was Ultimate strings where i was talking about the $20 price. Ive used those before and for $20 ill definitley get them.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Jonathan,

Here's a sample I threw together of the Kirk Hunter 2 violin esp with the Opus 1 VSL f strings. Don't pay attention to the reverb. There's a bell tone in there that's hideous. But I don't know what I'm doing yet, so....

http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/m/.../Walton_02.mp3

I hope the link works.

Mahlon

Go Back to forum