• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: France proposes legalising filesharing

Share/Bookmark

OT: France proposes legalising filesharing

The French government is proposing to make file-sharing legal and impose a general charge for internet use as a compensation -these revenues " to be distributed amongst authors / copyright holders".

This proposal is clearly unjust towards any kind of author, and it would set a dangerous precedent IMO. If you would like to add an email signature to a SACEM (French composers' association) opposing the new law, just follow this link (you don't need to understand French)

http://www.sacem.fr/petel/fwk/main.jsp

Thanks

Nigel

Re: OT: France proposes legalising filesharing

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    The French government is proposing to make file-sharing legal and impose a general charge for internet use as a compensation -these revenues " to be distributed amongst authors / copyright holders".

This proposal is clearly unjust towards any kind of author, and it would set a dangerous precedent IMO. If you would like to add an email signature to a SACEM (French composers' association) opposing the new law, just follow this link (you don't need to understand French)

Thanks

Nigel
    Nigel,
    The link would not work. Nevertheless, France is signatory to treaties dealing with International Copyright Laws and it will be interesting to see how this will be compatible with those treaties. I would be concerned about any government collecting and distributing income to authors and composers.

Gary Garritan

It wouldn't be a bad idea as long as they compensated everyone impacted. In addition to composers there's also sound recording owners, producers, performers, etc.

Funny, though. Isn't Vivendi Universal a French company?

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I would be concerned about any government collecting and distributing income to authors and composers.
    Dont come to Canada then.

steve

Actually the US Register of Copyrights does the same thing. At least under the terms of Circular 73 you can send them them the money. I don't know that they've actually ever given any out to composers, though. I think an excise tax on recordable media like CDRs and video tapes goes into a similar fund. At some point I think the RIAA is going to try and grab it all.

Howard

Thanks

Nigel
    I'm not sure that it matters what law they try to pass; they are governed by European Law, and if the rest of us don't agree with a change in the current system, then it is tough luck for them.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Nigel,
    The link would not work. Nevertheless, France is signatory to treaties dealing with International Copyright Laws and it will be interesting to see how this will be compatible with those treaties. I would be concerned about any government collecting and distributing income to authors and composers.

Gary Garritan
    Hmmm, the Link is correct -it works just now when I tried it. Maybe they have a "USA Filter" heheh.

France seems to want to be " a law unto themselves". I think they recently passed laws insisting that legal documents be produced in french, not english; and they have long had their radio quotas for french language music. However, France has long been internet-savvy as a nation.

Although on the one hand, I think it's great that they value their own culture and want to protect it, I do sometimes think there is a little bit too much nostalgia for the colonial past of "La Grande Nation".

My french is not very good, and as the SACEM pages seem to have no English content, I can't give any more details about the proposal. Perhaps some canadians on the Forum would like to check it out? This is the home page:

http://www.sacem.fr/portailSacem/jsp/ep/home.do

best

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by sghoughton
    Dont come to Canada then.

steve
    Or Germany, or Austira or some other European countries. Some things are kinda perverted here. Theres a debate about a copyright fee on every PC, since you can create copies of copyrighted stuff with it. That fee somehow should compensate for this.

I don't really know who gets the money and why copying stuff is still illegal, since we already pay the fees. Oh well, lets just turn on the happyness-chip implanted in our brains at birth and forget these things. Peace!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Hmmm, the Link is correct -it works just now when I tried it. Maybe they have a "USA Filter" heheh.

France seems to want to be " a law unto themselves". I think they recently passed laws insisting that legal documents be produced in french, not english; and they have long had their radio quotas for french language music. However, France has long been internet-savvy as a nation.

Although on the one hand, I think it's great that they value their own culture and want to protect it, I do sometimes think there is a little bit too much nostalgia for the colonial past of "La Grande Nation".

My french is not very good, and as the SACEM pages seem to have no English content, I can't give any more details about the proposal. Perhaps some canadians on the Forum would like to check it out? This is the home page:

http://www.sacem.fr/portailSacem/jsp/ep/home.do

best

Nigel
    Nigel, much of what you say has merit. But i wonder if the French people are nostagically looking back, or in fact looking foward, ensuring the balance of their own culture and language is not diluted to the point of no return. I personally think their stance is a long term one, designed to ensure the strength they enjoy in a cultural sense is preserved for future generations. We think in English and American as a normal state of affairs, and as English is so predominant in the world, many nations are starting to feel they are losing their identities, as not only the language but lifestyle permeates a local or national culture. constant reports of people rejecting english as the number one language, and retaining their own are commonplace. English is the language of business, but there's no guarantee it will stay that way in the future, and nations are right to preserve centuries of history.
    Whatever anyone may say about the french people or their strong sense of identity, their passion for their own culture, or their stubborn refusal to simply follow others and make up their own minds, they are a nation to be admired in many ways, particularly their secular determination to keep their society as for all. It's not perfect, but in France and it's secular principles, we see a side of democracy that does truly belong to the people. If France has one thing going for it most of all, it's the power of the people against the aspirations of the state, as any french politician will tell you when the protests start against this daft law, or that stupid legislation.
    France got hammered in the media when decisions were being made about the Iraq war, and the governments of Britain and the US were particularly vitriolic against the Gallic determination, saying and writing things that were extremely offensive, often untrue, and deliberately antagonistic. The French people stood firm, demonstrated loudly and persistently, and thumbed their noses at the right wing media who were intent on painting a black picture of the Gaul, in a vain attempt to persuade the government of France to go against the strong wishes of the people. I could only wish more of my fellow Britons had the same strength of principle.
    It would be folly to dismiss the french people as 'dumb' simply because they were deemed to be 'out of favour'. The french are as savvy and clever, intelligent and passionate as any nation of people who cherish their way of life and culture.
    Sorry to go off topic a little. I've accessed the site and registered my details already. I used the French section, although my French is woeful. I'm fairly confident that once the people get a whiff of this, there may well be a change of heart, or a rethink of the wording.

regards,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    I don't really know who gets the money and why copying stuff is still illegal, since we already pay the fees.
    Well, in canada, P2P is also legal right now so I guess that offsets that. But ya, we pay a "levy" (which apparently isn't a "tax" but every thinking person knows better when its sucked out of your wallet just the same) on every CD. And they banter back and forth between adding it and not adding it to things like hard drives etc.

The thing is, it gives joe average a good argument that if they've already paid the copying tax, then they have every right to copy. And I'm not sure how anyone could argue that. It just leaves the struggling musician in the middle of a stupid debate really.

steve

Go Back to forum