• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Stranger in a Strange Land

Share/Bookmark

Stranger in a Strange Land

Hey folks - thought I'd share a new spec film cue I put together yesterday:

Stranger in a Strange Land

I could bore you with production notes, but I'd rather you just listen and enjoy. If you have questions, feel free to ask away.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Stranger in a Strange Land

Thoroughly interesting, H.
    Certainly plants the implication of the title immediately with the piano phrase, and for me, gives an feeling of surreality particularly with the solo string. This lends credibilty to writing with space most effectively. There's not really a strong melancholic feel to this, more a bewildered sense of uncertainty. (IMHO).
    Was this an intented impression?

regards,

Alex.

Very well done, Houston!

I don't know much about film work; but musically, this is intriguing. To me, it would make a fine beginning to a larger piece, if you had a mind to develop it further.

I like the spacious feel of this, and the sensation of looking forward toward more to come... not exactly suspense; but more, a tension of expectancy.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Very well done, Alex!

I don't know much about film work; but musically, this is intriguing. To me, it would make a fine beginning to a larger piece, if you had a mind to develop it further.

I like the spacious feel of this, and the sensation of looking forward toward more to come... not exactly suspense; but more, a tension of expectancy.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David, fine words and very true. But this excellent work isn't mine, it's Houston's.
    He deserves the credit for this.

Regards,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    David, fine words and very true. But this excellent work isn't mine, it's Houston's.
    He deserves the credit for this.

Regards,

Alex.
    Ack!

Thank you so much for correcting me, Alex. One of those slips of the eyeball -- lol! I was reading one thing while typing another, and... well, everyone in the forum knows I cannot do two things at once without creating disaster.

My apologes, Houston, for my inexculpable misattribution, since corrected!

My best,

David.

Hey etLux - no problem... thanks for your comments.

There's not really a strong melancholic feel to this, more a bewildered sense of uncertainty. (IMHO).
    Was this an intented impression?
    I wanted to do a bit of an opening statement, not just act like it's picking up in the middle of the film - and yes - the tone was more about being unrooted. I wanted to avoid the tone of the original score, which was very string-ensemble oriented. The pace of the montage picks up, so I pushed and pulled the tempo along with it, and the violin into the trumpet was a transition from being about the scene (Europe) to being about the main character (American). That's about it.

I just dropped a screen shot of the video version of the cue on the front page of my site. You're welcome to guess which film it's from. I've already given some hints...

Excellent!! I love the mood. The way the organ drifts through almost reminds me of Pink Floyd, believe it or not.

Thanks for the compliment.

Both the high texture and the bass are from the ProphetV - using the the VS emulation. I wanted to do a cue that used subtlely-moving textures that fit well with the acoustic instruments and served the context of the piece.

Arturia said they wanted to post this and another spec cue I've done (some unapologetic techno) on the ProphetV demo page of their web site - but wanted me to do some production notes on my own site first so that they can point to it for those that want to know more about the context (since it's not an Arturia-only demo). So, I'll probably put together a page for my site and send them the mix and the individual ProphetV tracks so that folks can hear them individually. Once it's done I'll post a link to it from this thread.

That's neat- I never would have pegged that high sound as a Prophet. I would have guessed the B4 or other organ with the Leslie sim off going through some modulation effects. Very cool!

That's cool - the Prophet was a digital-analog hybrid, so it was pulling from a wavetable and mixing through a four-quadrant system. I'm sure that there was an organ-ish timbre in there somewhere. The thing I liked about it was the edgy bowed bell quality. It doesn't really stick out in the mix, but there's a quality there that's conspicuous by its absense (I tried a lot of other high patches there and this one had the right kind of "cold lilt" to it).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast