• Register
  • Help

Topic: SAN ANTONIO- Any good bands worth seeing?

Share/Bookmark

SAN ANTONIO- Any good bands worth seeing?

My wife and I are taking a vacation for a week in San Antonio, TX and were wondering if anybody knows of any good bands worth checking out. We will be there all next week. Yeeeee....haw.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: SAN ANTONIO- Any good bands worth seeing?

Thanks Ern! I am looking forward to the riverwalk. If we like San Antonio my wife and I plan to move there next year. Las Vegas is becoming...well...too much of a "Sin City" for us.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

There's a cooking little jazz band at Swigs some nights. Ask about the band with the girl singer/keyboardist and young trumpet player, they'll know which one you're talking about. The kid on trumpet is good, good band overall, best I heard in San Antonio on a recent trip. Swigs has nice drinks, very top shelf stuff, and nice waitresses/staff, too.

You have to eat Mexican food at Mi Tierra, which is in the Market Village area. Easy to find, everyone knows where it is.

There is a bar in the Riverwalk Hilton called Durty Nelly's, which is one of those peanut shell on the floor, guy playing piano and singing rowdy songs kinds of bars.

Someone told me about another upscale martini/bar/dance kind of place, but I didn't make it there and cannot recall the name. I don't know if there was any live music there.

Too bad that house band from Dick's is gone (apparently broken up). They were hot.

I'm sure there's still some kind of Dixieland thing going at The Landing (I think that's the name of the bar).

Thanks Richard. I will check everything out. I am looking forward to the Mexican food also!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

That's Jim Cullum's band at the Landing... they do the NPR show from there . If you have access to a car, you might want to also make a run just north of town to Green, TX, or as its known to the German locals, Gruene, whose Gruene Hall claims to be the oldest dancehall in the state. It's where they filmed the dance scene in the movie Michael.

Howard

Thank you Howard. We will be renting a car. I saw on a map that Green is south of SA going towards the coast? We will be driving that way on the way to Corpus Christi and will check it out.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

That's it. So much for my sense of direction. Just double checked with the wife and she also says it's actually an hour's ride from town. Also that the bands only there Fri and Sat.

Howard

Go Back to forum