• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: advice from Sonar users

Share/Bookmark

advice from Sonar users

this may be a little off topic but I couldnt find a better place for it. A friend of mine has sonar and I am considering switching to it because of the midi features. However I do a lot of sessions in my studio where I may be doing anywhere from 14 to 20 tracs at one time. In your opinion is it suitable for that. I also have considered sticking with what I have, and using sonar also.I just want some opinions if it is suitable for tracking

Re: advice from Sonar users

I can't speak for Sonar 5 but 4.0.2 yes. Very good.
    I have 128 midi tracks in the project I started last night.
    The track folders are very handy as you can group the tracks as to their output etc.

Steve

Sonar rocks. Do it. Definitely has the most midi features and rock solid midi timing on PC platform. But its just a great product period.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Sonar 5.01 user here. Yes, and yes. Assuming of course you're working in a PC- not Mac- environment Sonar will easily handle this and much more. Great for midi, great for tracking. Very handy bounce/freeze features. As far as how much sonic activity it can accomodate at once, I wouldn't know, because my CPU and/or RAM run out of gas long before Sonar does. Wonderful sequencer.

Feel free to register for the open SONAR forum at www.cakewalk.com -- you can ask whatever detailed questions you want, specifically with regard to you hardware/software setup. You likely get a number of useful responses -- lots of friendly and knowledgable folks there.

Also, you can download the SONAR 5.0.1 demo from their site and try it for yourself. Though it does have all WAV-producing functions disabled -- track bounce, export, etc.

Sonar is very good for tracking and midi. I have used every version except 5 and they are all good. 4.04 is my fav... you won't regret it...

Smile Re: advice from Sonar users

CPU/RAM/Hard Drive dependant...

But...

Current project I am working on has 39 STEREO audio tracks - so 78 right there...and over 46 Midi Tracks. (Hopefully, you can hear it this weekend)
    Oh..and with a screen-shot....hehe

Sonar 5.1 - wouldn't switch if ya paid me...not even for PT/Mac

P.S. Anyone know Bob Ludwigs Phone # ??
    Last edited by Brian2112; 03-08-2006 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Need Bob's #
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

well, my opionion of the sonar midi features is that they are a little lacking. I'm (in a weird way) comparing this to 3d software (3ds max) which is very mature. Now I know Sonar is mature, too, but compared to the svelt flow of max, it's nowhere close. Sonar still gripes me about the interface.

The currrent gripe is: all of the midi controller data (except velocity) have these things called 'handles'. Well, it makes it bloody difficult to draw CC lines when the data is dense and the handles are jam-packed together. Say, if you have a lot of CC1 data and want to draw a new curve for it, it's very difficult because the cursor keeps changing into a 'move' cursor when it touches one of the dang handles, and then you can only move the handle up and down for that one event......... just play with it and you'll see what I mean.

It's solid. For sure. But there are plenty of interface things that I just don't get as being intuitive. And it seems far behind the curve in what it should be. But, I think that's par for the course with midi development. Midi seems to be evolving at less than state of the art.

Mahlon

Quote Originally Posted by mahlon
    The currrent gripe is: all of the midi controller data (except velocity) have these things called 'handles'.
    Exactly one of the reasons I'll not upgrade past 4.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Exactly one of the reasons I'll not upgrade past 4.0.2

Does 4.0.2 have the ability to have several midi channels open in one piano roll? If so, I'll be there. Wait..... I wonder if I can even get 4.0.2; I went straight from 1 to 5. I know.... I'm a procrastinator.

Mahlon

Go Back to forum