• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New Intel Macs Will NOT Boot Windows Vista

Share/Bookmark

New Intel Macs Will NOT Boot Windows Vista

Microsoft has changed their plans for supporting EFI booting which is a must for the new Intel Macs. Read the linked article.

http://apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/E666E...25712C008166C4

Re: New Intel Macs Will NOT Boot Windows Vista

That's certainly a bummer. But don't forget that Microsoft sells Virtual PC for running Windows on G3, G4 and G5 Macintoshes. It is in their interest to come up with a solution for running Windows (XP or Vista) in some sort of emulation on Mac Intel.

Just wait awhile and the market will deliver a solution for running Windows on Mac Intel. It may not be entirely neat and tidy but it's almost sure to be faster than running Virtual PC on a G5.

Well, it does quash John Dvork's fantasy that Apple is going to switch to Windows.

Don't worry about John Dvorak. He's unquashable.

I've been reading his prognostications on and off for twenty years. I can't think of another journalist who is so consistently wrong or off-base, yet retains his job decade in and decade out.

Hi,

On the contrary, I can safely state: Windows XP Boots on a MacBook Pro:

http://www.mathcaddy.com/windowsxpbo...%21%21%21%211/

Cheers,
    Paolo

Although there's a veeery long list of things in life that I don't understand, you can put this one at the top of the list - why on earth would anyone owning a Mac want to install Windows? I mean, the cool thing about the Mac experience is the Mac OS (and this is from a guy with 20 years on MS based PCs). It's like buying a Ferrari, stripping out the motor and transmission, and then sticking in the guts from an old Ford Pinto! And then making payments on the Ferrari.

Good heavens, if you want to install Windows, buy a cheap PC clone. Without the Mac OS, a Mac is just a rather expensive piece proprietary of Apple hardware.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    why on earth would anyone owning a Mac want to install Windows? I mean, the cool thing about the Mac experience is the Mac OS
    For sure. Windows is sort of bad attempt at the original Mac OS anyway. It's unstable, buggy, virus prone and all the rest. I know, I have two PC's running XP and Gigastudio. Loading VI's on a G5 in OSX or even browsing the net is quantum beyond the whole Windows experience.

Although there's a veeery long list of things in life that I don't understand, you can put this one at the top of the list - why on earth would anyone owning a Mac want to install Windows? I mean, the cool thing about the Mac experience is the Mac OS (and this is from a guy with 20 years on MS based PCs). It's like buying a Ferrari, stripping out the motor and transmission, and then sticking in the guts from an old Ford Pinto! And then making payments on the Ferrari.

Good heavens, if you want to install Windows, buy a cheap PC clone. Without the Mac OS, a Mac is just a rather expensive piece proprietary of Apple hardware.
    Christopher,

That was about the most concise, logical and practical way of putting it I have ever seen. I couldn't agree with you more.

But that being said - the reason people wants to do that is because - both Apple and MS are saying that it WON'T be done. It won't be supported. And nothing drives geeks more than a challenge from the makers of software who PUPOSEFULLY go out of their way to make it hard to do.

(notice there are a few sites now who show you how to run OSX on a PC - with several hacks)

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by ptram
    Hi,

On the contrary, I can safely state: Windows XP Boots on a MacBook Pro:

http://www.mathcaddy.com/windowsxpbo...%21%21%21%211/
    Nice...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

why on earth would anyone owning a Mac want to install Windows?
    I sometimes must write documentation for software running on a PC, and test websites on a PC. At the moment, I do this by either running a (slow) software PC simulator, or turning on a real PC (unconfortable). Having the emulation embedded in the Mac would make things easier and speedier.

Also, I live in Italy, where very few enclyclopias and law CDs are available on the Mac.

Paolo

Go Back to forum