OK, so I'm just trying to put together my first instrument in Kontakt - a set of Boomwhackers. I've got quite a lot of usable samples per note, but I can't decde how to divide them up across the velocity range in Kontakt's editor, because I don't necessarily have notes of identical dB levels for each note.

I can think of a couple of ways of going about it.

1) By ear - simply assign each sample to a velocity range which seems to make that particular boomwhacker most playable. This seems to give the best result for each note, since I can assign quite a wide range of velocities to the most colourful samples, ensuring that they get hit frequently. The problem is that this is very inconsistent between Boomwhackers, so that playing, say, a scale with constant velocity results in terribly inconsistent levels.

2) Divide the velocity range by the range of levels (conveniently 63dB, so that each decibel equates to 2 velocity values) and stretch each sample accordingly. So if my second loudest sample on a note is at -3dB the loudest should cover the velocity range 127 to 121. I know that similar intensity doesn't equate to similar loudness across the whole frequency range, but adjusting for loudness curves is a bit beyond me. This method is actually giving fairly consistent results, but means that some of the better samples are clumped around a very narrow band of velocities.

3) Choose the samples from each instrument which are closest to a given level, and then normalise them to actually be at that level, so that I have identical levels on every note. Then I can go back to assigning velocity ranges by ear to give best playability. This just feels wrong somehow, since some of the samples would have slightly the wrong timbre for their level.

How does everyone else do it?