• Register
  • Help

Topic: MacBook pro?

Share/Bookmark

MacBook pro?

I have had a rather disastrous time recently with the new G5 dual processor PowerMacs (Quads) and have had to send back two with logic board problems. I decided not to go for a third!

While waiting for the new intel line of powermacs to arrive I am considering a MacBook Pro. Can someone tell me if this machine is up to handling - fairly comfortably - orchestral samples (e.g. GPO, JABB, East West Gold). Programs I use are Sibelius, Nuendo, Protools. Is the 2 gig memory maximum a severe restriction compared to PowerMacs?

I am currently having to use a G4 PowerBook 1.67 Ghz with 1.5 gig RAM. This definitely is NOT up to the task!

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated. I intend to stick with the Mac platform, having been happy with it for 15 years!
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Re: MacBook pro?

Quote Originally Posted by henrymorris
    I have had a rather disastrous time recently with the new G5 dual processor PowerMacs (Quads) and have had to send back two with logic board problems. I decided not to go for a third!

While waiting for the new intel line of powermacs to arrive I am considering a MacBook Pro. Can someone tell me if this machine is up to handling - fairly comfortably - orchestral samples (e.g. GPO, JABB, East West Gold). Programs I use are Sibelius, Nuendo, Protools. Is the 2 gig memory maximum a severe restriction compared to PowerMacs?

I am currently having to use a G4 PowerBook 1.67 Ghz with 1.5 gig RAM. This definitely is NOT up to the task!

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated. I intend to stick with the Mac platform, having been happy with it for 15 years!
    The hardware is up to the task. But none of the software you mentioned is available in Universal binary format. Sibelius works (using Rosetta) quite well though. As for sequencers, Logic and Garageband are both available in Universal binary. The machine is very fast. People have benchmarked Logic and are getting similar results as a 2.5GHz dual powermac. Native Instruments players for GPO, etc. are due sometime in Q2. You'll need to have universal binaries versions of Sequencers and Sample players since they depend on low level interface to the core audio drivers.

2GB should be fine as long as you stick with the likes of GPO. If you use large sample sets then you'll need to create your files with multiple passes so that whatever samples you use in the current pass fits in memory.

If you use large sample sets then you'll need to create your files with multiple passes so that whatever samples you use in the current pass fits in memory.

> thanks for your useful reply. Could you please explain to me, though, what the above means exactly?
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

How about the Dual 2.3 GHZ Powermac G5. It's a lot less money than the Quad and will work with current software. With the switch to Intel I wonder how much music software will take full advantage of the Quads processors. Also the 2.3 is air cooled and probably quieter.

If you use large sample sets then you'll need to create your files with multiple passes so that whatever samples you use in the current pass fits in memory.

> thanks for your useful reply. Could you please explain to me, though, what the above means exactly?
    For instance, you could premix an audio track of just the string section (which fits in 2GB) then another track of the woodwinds and then brass. Then do a final mix of those three tracks. I do that using Opus1 and DP on a 2GB iMac.

thanks, fastlane and dbudde, for advice.

I think for the moment I shall use the mixing down to audio section-by-section route as you suggested. I was doing this earlier on even less sophisticated machines, and it's time consuming, but it works.

Meanwhile I shall wait and see what develops Intel Mac-wise, while the software manufacturers catch up with Universal Binary. By then prices may have dropped, too!
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

henry, you might want to check out the apple refurbished products

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...m=SpecialDeals

You'll probably be able to find a dual processor 2.0 machine which might serve you better than the dual cores. I have heard that they pack a HUGE punch esp. for composers using a lot of VST plugs. Not that the dual core doesn't pack a punch but it seems the DP are a tested bunch whereas the dual cores seem to be finding their space in the APple spotlight.

I just ordered mine yesterday. I can't say from experience but I remember Craig Sharmy talking about his a while back. I thought that it sounds like enough for me. May be enough for you too. check them out.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Henry,

This means that sample libraries are more dependant on the quantity of ram they can utilize rather than processor performance. The G5 Powermacs can use up to 4 Gb per application, whereas the Mac book is limited to 2 GB's for the entire system. That leaves about 1.5 Gb's for the sampler and sequencer.

Rick

Go Back to forum