• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Music Schools?

Share/Bookmark

Music Schools?

What are some good universities or colleges to go to, to learn composition, arrangment and creation of music for movies and games and even tv adverts and such? I live in Vancouver and already know Pacific Audio and Visual Institute and Art Institute Vancouver. but those are more Recording Arts and Audio Engineering which im going to do as well i think.

I was wondering what schools some of the bigger timers went to like Hans Zimmer and Steve Jablonsky.

Re: Music Schools?

Pfraser,

There are some colleges and Universities that offer specialized Film Scoring programs like Berklee College of Music in Boston, University of Southern California and New York University. I am not aware of a program in British Columbia. There are traditional music programs at Victoria Conservatory, UBC and UVic.

In Seattle, a couple of hours south, Emmy-award winning composer Hummie Mann offers courses on Film Scoring. You can check out his program at http://www.pnwfilmmusic.com/ We'll be posting an interview here with Hummie soon.

Gary Garritan

Check out Capital University in Columbus Ohio. They offer some nice programs in composition and music technology.

Sean Beeson

Zimmer is quite proud and vocal of *not* having a formal music education. He can't read music - so perhaps you can pick a different/better example.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Pfraser
    What are some good universities or colleges to go to, to learn composition, arrangment and creation of music for movies and games and even tv adverts and such? I live in Vancouver and already know Pacific Audio and Visual Institute and Art Institute Vancouver. but those are more Recording Arts and Audio Engineering which im going to do as well i think.

I was wondering what schools some of the bigger timers went to like Hans Zimmer and Steve Jablonsky.
    Depending on your music skills, the fast track route is to attend UCLA School of Extension and get your certificate in film scoring. There you'll meet the future directors and producers who will be the ones giving you work.

Next, to insure some ability to generate income for yourself, even if you hate it, learn to master Finale.

Finally, look up Jack Smalley, sign up for private lessons and let him mentor you. Jack IS a university.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

going to a film school is not so important.....every movie has different techincs of scoring it...and every composer would do it differently...i suggest you to study theory, listen a lot of music, compose starting from simple things (maybe only piano)...and if u want study composition ..but film music schools ...i really don't understand them..i mean..al the big composers that scored our favourite films didnt study film music!!!! just an example...bernard hermann didn t know nothing about films...................

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Zimmer is quite proud and vocal of *not* having a formal music education. He can't read music - so perhaps you can pick a different/better example.

He can read music. I saw him a lot of time performing on a keyboard, a piano, while following a score.

It's just that he's not as trained as john williams or nicholas dodd So he uses midi keyboard to compose instead

I really feel like film music is about as learn-by-doing as it gets, and so your best bet is to just go to a school where you'll run into a lot of film makers (USC/UCLA), regardless of what their film composition classes are like. If you can find a lot of film makers, you'll do a lot of scores and learn much more that way. Plus you'll have a head start in building the relationships you need to make an actual career of it. The trade skills will come to you eventually through practice, maybe a few books (like Jeff Rona's Scoring for Pictures), and peer advice. It's the networking and career-building that's the tricky part!
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

well i would say i'm atleast satisfactory at music. but i would love to film score and do some game stuff to. I know how to read both treble and bass and tenor(who cant?) and yea i dunno. i seem to come up with some good riffs just by fooling around and jamming.

heres something i just finished but its not that great.
    http://media.putfile.com/My-Minds-Way

Go Back to forum