• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yet another Ensemble building question

Share/Bookmark

Question Yet another Ensemble building question

Hi! I've recently started using GPO to learn about orchestration from scratch. I read the documentation and the tutorials for building ensembles with the different patches. However, now that I'm trying to build an ensemble for the first time, I'm confused. I just got a score that lists the following:

- 8 first violins
    - 8 second violins
    - 5 violas
    - 5 cellos
    - 5 basses

How am I supposed to build two 8-violin sections? If I understand correctly, I only have 12 solo/player violins. I also have 10- and 12-player string section instruments. So, what should I do?

1. Create two 6-violin sections with my 12 violins?
    2. Combine the 10/12 player instruments with the solo/player instruments (e.g. put Vln 1 Lush with a couple of Plr instruments and create a pseudo 14-piece section) and put more than 8 violins in each section?
    3. Do something else? (I've read about pitch-shifting and other stuff here in the forum, for example)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Luis

Re: Yet another Ensemble building question

Quote Originally Posted by luisto
    How am I supposed to build two 8-violin sections? If I understand correctly, I only have 12 solo/player violins. I also have 10- and 12-player string section instruments. So, what should I do?

1. Create two 6-violin sections with my 12 violins?
    2. Combine the 10/12 player instruments with the solo/player instruments (e.g. put Vln 1 Lush with a couple of Plr instruments and create a pseudo 14-piece section) and put more than 8 violins in each section?
    3. Do something else? (I've read about pitch-shifting and other stuff here in the forum, for example)
    For larger sections, like the ones you wish to construct, I recommend door number 2. Use the section instruments with 2 or 3 solo instruments layered in, with different panning positions for each within the section. The ensemble building approach is best used for smaller ensembles and the combination approach for larger ones. Mixing the solo instruments in judiciously helps give the illusion of individual players within the section and also gives independent control over vibrato levels (since the solo instruments are vibrato instruments.) Changing the ratio between the section and solo instruments can give you some control over these things.

Tom

Go Back to forum