• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Composition: A GPO & JABB combo

Share/Bookmark

New Composition: A GPO & JABB combo

It's been a while since I actually FINISHED writing a piece. Well, this composition is finished! YEA!

It doesn't have a name, yet. So it's unofficially known is "No Name Composition #1". LOL! It's titled this way because I am SURE there will be more compositions where a title-name just does not come to mind.

Almost all of the "instruments" are using either GPO or JABB sound libraries. The only instruments outside of these two libraries are the electric bass and snare sounds. These sounds come from Wizoo sounds using the Halion 3 plug-in.

This composition was also sequenced using Muse Research's Receptor. It's a new addition to my happy little studio. I loaded the GPO into the Receptor. I must say that everything worked fine! There's a little learning curve in getting the Receptor to work with Steinberg's SX 3 (which is my sequencing program). Once everything was configured correctly, all went well. It greatly freed up CPU and memory usage on my computer. I'm looking to house the JABB sound library within the Receptor once it is available for this device.

This particular composition is a jazz-waltz. It's a "pencil to paper" piece, so it took me a long time to complete. I must say that I appreciate writing down the music as I compose. Although it is a slow process for me, it helps me see and hear different ways of voicing chords and developing the piece.

I just wish I had more days in the week to do more of this. . . .

Although this piece is roughly mixed, I still have yet to call it completed from a mix-down point of view. I need some time away from this piece before I complete the mix-down. If you hear anything that could help with the mix-down process, please feel free to add your thoughtful comments.

Enjoy!

The No Name Composition #1 - MP3 File.

The No Name Composition #1 - WMA File.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: New Composition: A GPO & JABB combo

I like your jazz waltz, Theodore! You did a fine job and I'm proud of you!

Your work is lilting and energetic and has some great chordal progressions. It is thoroughly enjoyable except...except for the trumpet which sounds a bit synthy. You need to do some work on it and everything will be perfect.

Thanks for sharing your great work with us.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Smile Re: New Composition: A GPO & JABB combo

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander

Your work is lilting and energetic and has some great chordal progressions. It is thoroughly enjoyable except...except for the trumpet which sounds a bit synthy. You need to do some work on it and everything will be perfect.

Larry A.
    Oh, thank you for the listen, Larry! I am glad you liked the piece! (I'm sincerely honored. I consider you an unofficial compositional teacher for me just in listening to all of your works. )

Regarding the trumpet sound. Yea. I think I over EQ'd the brass section. It also sits rather high in the mix. I will work on it over the next couple of days and try to tone down that "synthy" trumpet sound. I appreciate your input and listen, Larry!

Warmest regards,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander

Larry A.
    Larry,

You are so very supportive and helpful with your comments to other composers. Thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    Larry,

You are so very supportive and helpful with your comments to other composers. Thank you for that.
    Welcome.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I really enjoyed the harmonic progressions used in this piece.
    Refreshing and unpredictable.
    Nice work.
    regards Joe

Thank you for the listen, Joaz. I honestly appreciate your time spent for the listen. With regards to the chord progressions, I was experimenting with "cliche" chord progressions and somewhat less "cliche" chord progressions. Just toying around with something I learned 20+ years ago.

By the way, you are a wonderful composer. I so enjoy listening to your works.

There's a lot of great composers found here.

This piece is still "in the works". I'm still in the process of mixing it down. I might even do some other tweeking as well (tempo, orchestration, etc.).

Warm regards to you!

Ted

Very enjoyable listen, Ted. Loved the harmonies and the colors. Great intro, too.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

I liked the piece - particularly the part where it broadens out at 1:45 and then again at the end. The only think I would offer to you mix-wise would be to take care with the ensemble horns when they're chording in a particularly dense part - you might want to consider shortening their notes or making it more sforzando so that when you get into the mix there'll be enough room for everything to breathe.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Ted!

This is excellent!

Thoroughly enjoyed it -- great job on this. This may be a "rough mix", as you say; but there's a lot of really astute nuancing and first rate control of the resources... and it's a heck of a fine chart -- love the brass writing; and the orchestrative coloring is really well done.

All my best,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum