• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Confusion: Kontakt vs. Kompakt

Share/Bookmark

Question Confusion: Kontakt vs. Kompakt

Hello All,

I posted this thread in the NI forum but it's gathering dust... so I thought I'd try it here

Could someone familiar with NI software help me understand the differences between application of Kontakt and Kompakt.

I’m thinking about buying the ProjectSAM Brass and Giovani Choir (which come in Kontakt format) but do not have any sampler software yet. I was browsing through the NI products and saw both Kontakt (which looks like the sampler) and Kompakt (which looks like a player).

I have no interest, or skill, in having to manipulate samples. I just want to be able to load them up into a VSTi in my sequencer (Sonar 4) and compose with their sounds.

The page describing Kompakt says it can open several formats (even gigastudio????). So if all I want to do is use the sounds to compose with, will buying JUST the Kompakt player work? Or do I still need to buy Kontakt as well? … confused

While I’m asking, if Kompakt is all I need, does it really open gigastudio files too? So if there’s a sample library I want, and that library's only format is GS3, Kompakt can load it?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Re: Confusion: Kontakt vs. Kompakt

You only need Kompakt, and yes, it will open GS i think. I would SRONGLY reccomend Kontakt 2, as it is much improved over the previous versions of Kompakt and Kontakt. It has much more functionality that you may want in the future (you never know ). I personally think NI should make a Kompakt 2, that is improved and uses the K2 engine. It would be cool if .nki files could have scripts embedded it them, and a way to contol those scripts, but not change the type of script or edit the script. This way, K2 libraries with scripts could be shipped in 'Kompakt 2', with the ability to use the amazing script functionality, without the need for Kontakt itself.

I'll stop before i go off topic. You only need to have Kompakt. Oh and another reason for Kontakt s that you can have 16 instruments per instance, not just 8.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    You only need Kompakt, and yes, it will open GS i think. I would SRONGLY reccomend Kontakt 2, as it is much improved over the previous versions of Kompakt and Kontakt. It has much more functionality that you may want in the future (you never know ). I personally think NI should make a Kompakt 2, that is improved and uses the K2 engine. It would be cool if .nki files could have scripts embedded it them, and a way to contol those scripts, but not change the type of script or edit the script. This way, K2 libraries with scripts could be shipped in 'Kompakt 2', with the ability to use the amazing script functionality, without the need for Kontakt itself.

I'll stop before i go off topic. You only need to have Kompakt. Oh and another reason for Kontakt s that you can have 16 instruments per instance, not just 8.
    Thanks Kanjika! Biggest issue at the momment is price. I already have Kompakt as a 3rd party instrument so I can get the full version for $130 rather than Kontakt 2 for $450. Too much of a price difference. Especially since I have absolutly no idea what Kontakt is/does as a sampler. For that matter, I know nothing of samplers at all. Heheh, all I care about is getting the sound files into a VST. And most of my money goes towards those sound files

8 samples loaded into 1 VST is fine with me. I can always just open another instance if I needed more. Does Kompakt not currently use the Kontakt 2 engine? I just assumed it would support all the latest files made in Kontakt. That might be an issue.

But Kontakt also looks complex to use (it has it's own DVD Tutorial you buy?)... Kompakt is simple and straight forward.... Load Kompakt VSTi , Load samples, assign midi channel. Volia. Is Kontakt just as easy to run as a VSTi in a sequencer?

Thanks again for all the info!

Kontakt may seem intimidatingly hard to use, but it's the same as Kompakt. It's not like you need to watch an instructional DVD to use it. If you open in an instrument, it appears on a "virtual rack" of instruments. Upon clicking that instrument you are able to adjust many things like the AHDSR envelope and little things like filters (this is the stuff in Kompakt). If you become even more savvy with the program, you can add effects, change groups, edit keymaps, and even make you own instruments. I use Kontakt for this reason. If i had SAM Horns open, it would take up 4 channels to have Sustain, Staccato and 2 of the Marcato lengths open. With kontakt i just compile those into one keyswitched instrument, saving slots and in the long run, preventing CPU eating.

Kompakt uses the old engine as far as i know, and K2 is faster and samples take up much less ram (i think its because of DFD). If you have a string sustain patch iun GS format that is 200mb, it actually eats 200mb ram in Kompakt. In k2, it takes up like 8 or 9mb usually when you convert it to Kontakt format. If you convert GS into Kontakt format and have DFD on, less memory will be used though...a LOT less. Looks like you get a good library of sounds with Kompakt too, not as good as the Kontakt 2 set, but still ok. IMO...(another one of my ideas ) they should offer a cheaper version of K2 without the library. It's probably so expensive because of all the VSL stuff and other libraries included.

Well i'm glad i could be of help!
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

I wouldn't count on Kompack or Kontack to export giga format, i heard that it works but the more the library is complex the more trouble you will run into, i cant be sure about this cause i don't own it but it seemed to be a serious source.

Also there's a upgrade path to Kontack if you own a kompack player, the price is $269 if i remember well.

One would think that upgrading to kontack is the way to go because of the script...that's where the future is IMHO.

I also heard that Kontack can be buggy...not an easy choice he! ...you can always buy kompack and upgrade to kontack later or make the plunge right away.....don't you hate that.

Kontakt really isn't that buggy from my experience. There are quite a few bugs in 1.5 though. I wouldn't count on Kontakt to convert things either. It works, but i don't like the way it does it. All the articulations and patches seem to get stuck in one folder, making it extremely hard to locate things. A sample converter isn't that expensive and would help you out alot.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Kontakt really isn't that buggy from my experience. There are quite a few bugs in 1.5 though. I wouldn't count on Kontakt to convert things either. It works, but i don't like the way it does it. All the articulations and patches seem to get stuck in one folder, making it extremely hard to locate things. A sample converter isn't that expensive and would help you out alot.
    Are you using it as VST or standalone?... witch was better for you?

Thanks.

I use it as VST. Standalone doesn't work well in my seqencer.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

I use it as VST. Standalone doesn't work well in my seqencer.
    Thanks for your reply.

I heard some people say there's a bug when you reopen Kontack after tweaking samples in VST mode, did you experience anything like that?...or maybe you don't tweak your samples?...I'm just trying to find out what will be best for me?...oh! What is your sequencer?

Thanks.

I think Kontakt will be just fine for you. Don't hesitatate to get it just because there's a little bug or something. I tweak samples a LOT and have never had any bugs. Only thing that i have encountered thats wierd, it that it takes like 5 minutes for K2 to recognize my Complete Classic. I like to use it in Kontakt 2, but it just freezes then responds (only happens once every time i boot the compter though). NONE of my other collections have done that, so i dunno.

I sequence in FL studio 5.
    Jonathan Beil

MUSIC

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast