• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gentle Morning Rain

Share/Bookmark

Gentle Morning Rain

The sound of rain has fascinated me since I was a child. This piece was suggested by the sound of rain on window panes and dripping off the eaves. The rain here has been gentle for the past 3 days, but not so long ago, it really tore up the countryside!

This was (for me) a notational nightmare. Some day, I hope to succeed at writing a simple score that has the sound that I want.

Gentle Morning Rain (6 minutes)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=83481

The link will lead to three choices.

At the top, you will see a blue button to play the mp3.

Just below that, you will see the score, if you have the Scorch plugin. Otherwise, a blank where the score ought to be. Here you can view the score and listen to the Scorch playback (GM), not a good sound, usually.

Below this, under the heading of details, you will see a choice to download the mp3 file, which is the best choice if you want to hear, and don't have broadband. The mp3 is the GPO Steinway.

Richard

Re: Gentle Morning Rain

Interesting meditation on water from the sky, Richard... enjoyed the piece; imitative of rain and water sounds on the surface, but a nicely built undercarriage, as well.

Delightful!

I'm going to store this one away for the next rainy day, here; and give it a listen when the environment parallels the musical intent.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

P.S.:
    Rich, I know this is scored very softly (pp-mp throughout); but I might suggest raising the level on the recording somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Rich, I know this is scored very softly (pp-mp throughout); but I might suggest raising the level on the recording somewhat.
    Well, I had wondered about that. Guess I better change it when I can afford the upload time.

Richard

Richard,
    I'm really enjoying this interesting stuff you've been putting out lately.Thanks!
    I think I get that its 5:40 and keeps similar patterns going throughout. Nice.

One thing I like about listening to rain is you get into a pattern of drips and drops and suddenly it changes and creates a whole new soundscape.
    A piece like this could be done in a AB or ABA form with a significant change in the rhythm components to illustrate when the drips and drops change their course.

Well, as I'm writing this comment, it is raining here as I'm sure it is at your house. Will we ever get out from under this cloud, Richard? My goodness it has been a lot of rainy lately! Anyways, I enjoyed this piece. I liked the continued "patter". It really rings home that constant drip that seems to be surrounding us these days. But seriously, the relationship of the pitches kept me interested. The timid beginning to the full annoying drizzle. Very good. Keep'em coming!

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Go Back to forum