• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Help Needed With Gpo/mac Probs

Share/Bookmark

Help Needed With Gpo/mac Probs

Hi
    I like the sound of the GPO Personal Orchestra but it seems to crack up way too easily on playback, even when reletively few instruments are active.

I had this problem with a DP1.25 G4, a DP 1.8 G5 and Ive just bought the mother of G5s: the Quad 2.5 with 8 gig of kingston RAM and guess what? It still wont playback without unwelcome artifacts. My Digital Performer file is just running two instances of the player with about 8 instruments - thats all!!!!
    Nothing else in the file. On this track im working at 24bit 96K so maybe it doesnt like that, but Ive had the same probs at 24 bit 44.1. I have tried moving the library folder to a FW800 drive, another internal SATA drive etc

I have also tried ditching the kontakt player in favour of loading the files into Kontakt 2. There are a lot of options re playback on that sampler and although I can get an improvement, it still is not running well.

Ive seen other posts on the forum saying the same thing, so I know im not alone. I would welcome some help????????

Re: Help Needed With Gpo/mac Probs

Hi DEY,

Welcome to the forum.

There has been so much chatter on this forum as to the poor performance with Macs and GPO and JABB. I hope you didn't buy the quad just to run GPO. The performance seems to be just about as good on a dual G5. A lot of the performance on your Mac will be determined by how you use it.

I just did a search here and found over 40 pages of info when I typed "Problems with Macs and GPO." since there is already so much info here, I'm not going to go into all the work arounds, but here is a little PDF that might be of some help to you.

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/lark...info_sheet.pdf

Yes it's true that GPO doesn’t run as well for us Mac owners as for those of us who own PCs, but we still manage to use GPO quite well.

Best of luck to you, and again, welcome to the forum. I hope you will hang around, learn, share, and in other ways become part of this super group of musicians.

Karl

Dear Karl

Thank you for your reply. I did do a search on the forum and found the doc you kindly sent me. Most of those things I already have done, but there are a few things on there I haven't such as monitor colours etc. Hard to believe that could affect things but I'll try anything. As my quad mac is about 10 days old I doubt much rubbish has accumilated as yet.

My issue is that performance is so bad, its unusable even on the fastest production mac in existence.

Is there anything else I should consider, before I buy a product that does work properly?

I know that sounds harsh but its barely working (on three different macs Ive had the same result) so I feel Ive given it a good shot.

Regards
    David

Hi David, I would recommend one thing that will fix all your problems.

Once you get all the midi editing done for each instrument, record them to separate audio tracks, that's what I do. You will experience limitless possibilities with mixing.

Dan

Hi Dey,

I'm running Logic, and I had to change my buffer setting from 32 to 64 to accommodate GPO so that it wouldn't crap out or crackle. I can't say I'm at all happy about having to make this change to accommodate a pluggy. But I have work to get done, fortunately it's orchestral in nature and doesn't have to be über-locked to drums, so this extra bit of latency is live-able for now.

Hi Orkguy

Im running dp and my buffer is at 512 and Im still getting these probs. I would normally live with 256, so your buffer is amazingly small. What mac are you using? Does yours crack up when you have more than 6 instruments or more? I checked the file sizes and Im running about 40meg of garritan. Ive got 8 gig of ram and dfd is off.

regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DEY
    Im running dp and my buffer is at 512 and Im still getting these probs. I would normally live with 256, so your buffer is amazingly small. What mac are you using? Does yours crack up when you have more than 6 instruments or more? I checked the file sizes and Im running about 40meg of garritan. Ive got 8 gig of ram and dfd is off.
    I'm running a G5 2.7dp with 2.5G RAM and a PCI424 audio card, running Logic 7.1.1, OSX 10.4.3. My normal buffer setting is 32, as I mentioned previously, and the total recording latency in my system is 27 samples.

I think I've run at most 5 or 6 GPO instruments at once, and which that point I heard crackles from various instruments. If I recall correctly, I had to change my buffer to 128 at that point to eliminate the problem. And it wasn't even a dense sequence.

And when I finally got around to printing those tracks, almost all of them had a loud click just before the first note. Fortunately they were early enough in the tracks for me to be able to edit them out.

A few things I've done to my system in an attempt to maximize performance:

Processor Performance = Highest
    Fast User Switching = Off
    Firewire Networking = Off

I recently loaded a bunch data onto my system drive and I find that response of the computer overall is going down the tubes. Prior to this I had about 200G of free space. Now I'm down to 140G. So I'm considering getting an additional internal HD to store data on and leave the original HD for applications and system usage only.

Man, I can only wish you better luck than you're having right now with your system.

Hello again Orkguy

Thank you for your reply. The three settings you mention - are they in Logic or in the system. In Dp I have the first one (priority - and mines set to highest) but not the other two?

Where do you currently store your Garritan library file?

I think your latency settings are incredible. I wonder if my new quad will be able to do that? Maybe DP isnt as good as Logic in that respect.......

Im going to try running less programs in one instance, but more instances of Garritan instead, to see if that makes a difference. I notice you say your clicks were at the start of your files. Mine are in the middle of them which is why its not useable at present.

The other thing I didnt realise is that theres a 2nd edition GPO. I have the 1 st - Do you know what the difference is and if it improves matters as far as performance goes?

regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DEY
    The other thing I didnt realise is that theres a 2nd edition GPO. I have the 1 st - Do you know what the difference is and if it improves matters as far as performance goes?

regards
    David
    Check to see what version of the Kontakt player you have. You can do this by selecting the AU plug and doing a "get info" on it (command I). Or within DP you can open the player and check the version number by clicking on the title bar. If it is less than 1.3.8.x you are lucky it works at all.

Best of luck,

Karl

Hi Karl
    thanks for your mail.

Im running 1.1.8.004. Its the most recent posting from NI. Not sure about the numbers you mention. Ive contacted Garritan direct and Ive sent the dp files to Native Instruments so we'll see what happens........
    regards
    David

Go Back to forum