• Register
  • Help

Topic: More than 8 instruments in Native Instruments player?

Share/Bookmark

More than 8 instruments in Native Instruments player?

I loaded 8 GPO instruments via the NI interface earlier in Cubase SX 3. Each is assigned to MIDI channels 1-8 and they all work fine.

When I try and assign an additional 8 GPO instruments on MIDI channels 9-16, none of them make any sound when I try and play them through my keyboard. They each have their own MIDI channel assigned to them but nothing works.

When I pull down the VST Instruments from the Device panel in Cubase and try and play on channel 11, I will see the light flashing on the Personal Orchestra output that has channels 1-8 in it!

I'm at a loss. Why can't NI read channels 9-16? Sheesh...

Re: More than 8 instruments in Native Instruments player?

NI interface? Is it Kontakt 2? Kompakt? Or the NI player that comes boxed with your sample library?

You don't have to use channels 9-16. Each player can respond to channels 1-8 independantly, since each VST device is considered seperately when routing midi tracks through it. That's the only way VST works, since it isn't bound to the 16 channel limitations of midi. Look at them as if they are 'midi ports.' Each one can receive channels 1-8.

That said, to route incoming midi to the 2nd player, make sure the midi inputs are configured correctly for the track in Cubase and arm, the outputs should be set to the second instance of GPO in Cubase's VST rack, and the correct channel for the track you are wanting to record (1-8.) Arm it for recording and go to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kstevege
    NI interface? Is it Kontakt 2? Kompakt? Or the NI player that comes boxed with your sample library?
    Sorry, it's the Kontakt Player 2.0 that comes with the Garritan.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    You don't have to use channels 9-16. Each player can respond to channels 1-8 independantly, since each VST device is considered seperately when routing midi tracks through it. That's the only way VST works, since it isn't bound to the 16 channel limitations of midi. Look at them as if they are 'midi ports.' Each one can receive channels 1-8.

That said, to route incoming midi to the 2nd player, make sure the midi inputs are configured correctly for the track in Cubase and arm, the outputs should be set to the second instance of GPO in Cubase's VST rack, and the correct channel for the track you are wanting to record (1-8.) Arm it for recording and go to it.
    Thanks, Joseph. I guess I'm MIDI-ally challenged. : ) I appreciate the help very much.

Best,
    Sean...

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd
    Sorry, it's the Kontakt Player 2.0 that comes with the Garritan.
    The GPO kontakt player only holds up to 8 instruments. You have to open another instance of the GPO player. Make sure you set your midi OUT to GPO 2.

Go Back to forum