• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Recommendations for decent Web Hosting?

Share/Bookmark

Recommendations for decent Web Hosting?

Hello...

I'm finally ready to take the plunge and upload my cheap website. My cable/internet provider offers webspace for free.. but it's only 5mb total...and worse yet, it's an additional $.99 per mb !!!!

I'm certainly willing to pay but...

I know there's a ton of Hosts out there... but i'm concerned that each will include hidden fees, pop up advertising's, streaming and transfer limitations ... etc.

so ... any recommendations?

thanks

jeff

Re: Recommendations for decent Web Hosting?

Well, the first link is my choice, but I have not yet taken the plunge. The second link was recommended to me by Sean Hannifin, and also looks good The first link includes domain name. The second will require an additional $8.00 annual domain registration fee. Both have LOADS of space and features.

http://www.bluehost.com/

http://www.webhostingbuzz.com/hosting.htm

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 03-15-2006 at 02:46 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm on my 3rd year using www.webhostingbuzz.com ... It's the best buy I could find.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Only been on it a few months, but I manage our church's website and we are using Bluehost. So far it's head and shoulders above the local service we were using. We signed up with them due in large part to the reviews we saw about them.

Jon

I'm with http://www.godaddy.com and their prices and service are comparable (or cheaper) to webhostingbuzz. You probably can't go wrong with either of those.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

time to risk getting lynched...

if you are a musician/composer and one of the objects of setting up a web site is getting your music heard, may I humbly suggest that the cheapest solution is not always the best?

I've been using the Performing Artist's Network (PAN) since the early 1980s. When they started offering hosting services it was pretty much a no-brainer. They know what services a musician needs. And, they really care about their clients.

GoDaddy, One-to-One, Rackspace.com, Bluehost, and Dotster are all good businesses that, from my experience, do a good job of hosting web sites. But they aren't focused on the little extras that musicians might need.

PAN, last time I looked anyway, is more expensive than the others. The extra services they offer may, or may not be of interest to you. But I think you might want to take a look.

www.pan.com

I have no financial axe to grind, I'm just a satisfied customer who finds it somewhat frightening that people base so many decisions on price alone.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    I have no financial axe to grind, I'm just a satisfied customer who finds it somewhat frightening that people base so many decisions on price alone.
    Well sure, if something is worth additional cost, then it's worth additional cost, but all other things being equal, then lowest price will always win out.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Well sure, if something is worth additional cost, then it's worth additional cost, but all other things being equal, then lowest price will always win out.
    But really, how many times are all other things equal?

This could start another thread, but how many folks actually believe that a $100 microphone is as good as a $1000 microphone? Not "good enough for my purposes", or even "good for the money", no these folks make major purchasing decisions based soley on price... well, and a bit of marketing spin.

Web hosting is really no different. It may seem like an odd thing to worry about, and maybe it is, but not all web hosting services are the same.

Bill

I use http://www.webattention.net/ for my www.l-music.co.uk web site and am delighted with performance, availability, price and service.

I use cwihosting.com. The prices are competitive, and they support Java Servlets on Linux hosts, databases, CPanel, lots a storage, reasonable monthly bandwidth and multiple domains at a reasonable price. Their peak bandwidth is so-so, but adequate for me.

For hosting Flash video, I'm looking at flvhosting.com. They have Flash Communication Servers and are really setup for real-time streaming. The day that I need it, I'll put my flash video on flvhosting, but keep the webpages and such at cwihosting.

-JF

Go Back to forum