• Register
  • Help

Topic: New to GPO: how to set instrument volumes?

Share/Bookmark

New to GPO: how to set instrument volumes?

Hello, all,
    I just installed GPO and it looks (and sounds) pretty good. However, I've hit a problem.

It comes as a bit of a shock to learn that for many instruments the velocity control doesn't control the note volume. It seems this is done by the mod wheel control. I'm using Cubasis VST 4. I assume there is a control equivalent to the mod wheel and that I should use this to set the volume. But I can't find it in the list of controllers.

So my question is: in Cubasis (or Cubase SE), how do I set the note volumes?

Also, is it possible to change the setup so that velocity does control the note volume?

By the way, the GPO manual states that Cubase LE is bundled with it but I can't find it anywhere. It wasn't in the list of install options and it doesn't appear on the DVD. Very odd....

Many thanks.

Best regards,
    Chris

Re: New to GPO: how to set instrument volumes?

Chris,
    Quote Originally Posted by cwright
    So my question is: in Cubasis (or Cubase SE), how do I set the note volumes?
    The dynamics--volume and, just as importantly, the timbre--of many instruments are controlled by the mod wheel in GPO. If you try to work around this by using CC#7 (volume), you will lose the nuanced sound of the GPO instruments.

The mod controller is CC#1, by the way. If you have old midi sequences that you are trying to convert to GPO that use CC#7 (volume) or CC#11 (expression), you can try to translate the CC#7 and/or CC#11 values to CC#1 (care must be taken if you have both CC#7 and #11 on the same track, since they are often recorded independently and can cause conflicts when translating them into a single controller number).

Controlling the overall volume of the instrument/slot/track is a different matter. In theory, the relative volumes of instruments have been set to reasonable values. However, many GPO users (such as myself) like to use the mixer and/or volume sliders in our sequencers to control the volume and pan of the tracks. This optional behavior is controlled from the "Options" window of the GPO Kontakt player "USE CC#7/CC#10...", which defaults to "OFF". If you open the "Options" window and turn this on, you will be able to use the mixer/sliders in Cubase to set the overall track volumes, and then use the mod wheel to control the dynamics.

...is it possible to change the setup so that velocity does control the note volume?
    Well...yes...there is a plugin available at Ten Crazy that converts velocity to CC. You'd set it to CC#1. While this does work, it does really produce a realistic behavior with GPO. You will find the mod wheel jumping up and down at each "Note On" throughout a passage as the velocities change, which produces a "jumpy" sound.

I believe the lastest version of GPO no longer includes Cubase...
    Bill

Bill, thanks very much for the help. Unfortunately I'm still stuck!

I looked at the drop-down list of controllers in Cubasis (and Cubase SE) but there's no sign of CC#1 - the closest is Control 3! Is this the right way to access CC#1?

Just to clarify: the problem is not setting overall loudness for tracks etc but the dynamic loudness of individual instruments e.g. an instrument plays a few soft notes and then a few loud notes.

There's another consideration. Suppose I want to play the Steinway. Certainly the mod wheel would control the loudness - but it's not practical. For a start the right hand may need to play louder than the left hand. Surely it must be possible to play the piano in the conventional way.

I'm quite concerned about this. It's great having the velocity control control the attack of the note. But having control of the actual note loudness is pretty important, too!

I certainly hope there is a solution for this as it seems so basic....

Many thanks.

Best regards,
    Chris

Percussive instruments such as Piano, harp, celeste and percussion use velocity to control volume.

Instruments that a blown or bowed (strings, woodwinds and brass) use modulation (CC1) to control volume and timbre. Velocity controls the attack - higher velocities equal quick attacks and lower velocities equal slower attacks. Pizzicato and short bow strings are more percussive so their volume is controlled by velocity.

Jim

Chris,

In Cubasis VST 4, piano roll, two lines above "Control 3" it says "Modulation". This is your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Chris,

In Cubasis VST 4, piano roll, two lines above "Control 3" it says "Modulation". This is your huckleberry.
    Nickie, thank you very much. That works!

Best regards,
    Chris

Go Back to forum