• Register
  • Help

Topic: Autumn Concerto, 2nd movement remix - with downloadable score!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Autumn Concerto, 2nd movement remix - with downloadable score!

I have remixed my Autumn Concerto and will be revisiting it here on the forums. I first present the second movement, as it was the easiest to prepare in Sibelius (fewest number of notes!). So follow along in the score as you listen, and see how I've put this one together.

Please let me know if you see any inconsistancies in style, or if any questions come up regarding the execution of the printed score. I'm trying to get this as professional looking as possible for entry into contests.

MP3 File 7.2 MB
    PDF Score

Thanks for listening (and reading)!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Autumn Concerto, 2nd movement remix - with downloadable score!

You're already well aware of my good opinion of the piece, of course, Jamie.

Very nice job on the remix!

Also, thank you for the score.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I'm very impressed Jamie with the atmosphere and mood of your piece, as well as the restraint of the orchestration and the writing of the piano part. You chose some very haunting harmonies throughout - this is really an excellent work. Are there more movements to come?

I'm very curious about one engraving detail.
    notes between ledger lines seem to want to "bleed over" across the ledger line. Is this a quirk of Sibelius? or somehow is my viewer doing this? or is it the way the PDF was created?
    for example the B above the staff (treble clef) is difficult to read - it looks almost like an A that's just too high in its space.

(ps. beautiful music... very atmospheric!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene
    I'm very impressed Jamie with the atmosphere and mood of your piece, as well as the restraint of the orchestration and the writing of the piano part. You chose some very haunting harmonies throughout - this is really an excellent work. Are there more movements to come?
    Thank you, Eugene. This is the second of three movements. I had previously posted the entire concerto in this thread. I haven't yet posted the remixes of movements 2 or 3, but will when I have those scores ready to post as well.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I'm very curious about one engraving detail.
    notes between ledger lines seem to want to "bleed over" across the ledger line. Is this a quirk of Sibelius? or somehow is my viewer doing this? or is it the way the PDF was created?
    for example the B above the staff (treble clef) is difficult to read - it looks almost like an A that's just too high in its space.

(ps. beautiful music... very atmospheric!)
    Thank you for the kind words.

Printouts of scores form Sibelius are stunningly beautiful. The PDF file was created with a program called PDF create, which may or may not be introducing some extra visual artifacts. Most likely, however, it is a product of viewing it on a computer monitor, and possibly not at 100%. Unless you have a gigantic video monitor, you won't be able to see an entire page at that size. Shrunken down, it is hard to see where notes fall sometimes.

I haven't yet tried to print it out myself from the PDF file (just from Sibelius itself).
    - Jamie Kowalski

ah Jamie....

What a beautiful piece - I can hardly wait until you have the whole thing remixed...

I was especially struck by your use of silence - I'm glad you're not afraid to have a rest and let us anticipate for a moment. So many composers think all silence must be filled, and it just ain't so!

I also appreciated the orchestration - great use of harp, chimes and gong to add touches of color to very lush and beautiful string writing.

Bravo!

Nice to see the Score Jamie. I am looking forward to the rest.

regards Joe

jamie - you know i'm a fan of this concerto; in fact, i listen to it fairly often on my player...great to see the score! can't wait for the others

Go Back to forum