• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Time to start planning a New Christmas Album

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Time to start planning a New Christmas Album

Time to start planning a new Xmas Album. It may be the right time to start our third annual Christmas CD.

The previous albums were a great success. There were over 20,000 downloads in the 2004 Holiday album and Last year's 2005 Christmas album was much more popular especially with the mention by David Plogue of the New York Times (thanks Wheat!). If fact, there were so many hits that it brought down our server.

Here's the link to the last year's Christmas page:
    http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html

This year it may be a good idea to start planning a little earlier. Perhaps we can produce a marketable CD that can be promoted in mainstream venues and on iTunes. Would be fun to try.

This will be very special because it will be produced by people from our community Perhaps this year we can look into making this year's collection a multiple CD collection with pictures and graphics.

Let's brainstorm some ideas for this year's Christmas CD.

Gary Garritan

Smile Re: Time to start planning a New Christmas Album

Hi Gary,

great idea and you can count me in.

But how about trying to make it played with real flesh and blood players now? I would be ready to spend some hard earned bucks into such opportunity.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Time to start planning a New Christmas Album

Wow- real players? Falcon - wouldn't THAT be nice!

Please count me in - I've already got the piece complete and ready to go (Silent Night)!

Thanks so much and looking forward to hearing more about this.

Regards,

Tim

Real players, what a concept - and they do exist. They are probably more expensive than the Garritan Library. (Let's see I get $50 a service or rehearsal per hour and an orchestra has about 60 memebers at $50 and hour each - a recording session for one piece can be from 2 to 5 hours - that's about (wait I need a calculator....) YIKES! $6,000 to $15,000 a song. Boy, Garritan sounds pretty inexpensive now.

Ok, so I am kidding a bit. I am in on a Chistmas album. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."

Thumbs up Re: Time to start planning a New Christmas Album

This year I am definitely in! Real players? Hmm, the unpredictability of getting all involved together may be quite the challenge. Not that it couldn't be done. There would need to be concrete serious commitment, which would likely rely on whether or not persons have the time and finances. A project such in magnitude would require several well-planed days to utilize time efficiently for all involved. I think, as good an idea as it is, the logistics would be overwhelming. Then again one never really knows. I would be willing to take vacation time as long as everything was set at home and the finances dictated so.
    Then again, I'm just a flight attendent with a bad nose bleed.

Songs be ready soon.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Time to start planning a new Xmas Album. It may be the right time to start our third annual Christmas CD.

The previous albums were a great success. There were over 20,000 downloads in the 2004 Holiday album and Last year's 2005 Christmas album was much more popular especially with the mention by David Plogue of the New York Times (thanks Wheat!). If fact, there were so many hits that it brought down our server.

Here's the link to the last year's Christmas page:
    http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html

This year it may be a good idea to start planning a little earlier. Perhaps we can produce a marketable CD that can be promoted in mainstream venues and on iTunes. Would be fun to try.

This will be very special because it will be produced by people from our community Perhaps this year we can look into making this year's collection a multiple CD collection with pictures and graphics.

Let's brainstorm some ideas for this year's Christmas CD.

Gary Garritan
    I know the song I want to do... are there any copyright considerations or are you only taking original/traditional stuff?

Mine would be a cover for sure (Breath of Heaven) probably for real flugel, JABB and possibly some strings.

Cool Re: Time to start planning a New Christmas Album

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    But how about trying to make it played with real flesh and blood players now? I would be ready to spend some hard earned bucks into such opportunity.
    You can count me in as well. Personally, I would like to see more of the hybrid approach this year, that is, GPO/JABB carrying the lions share of the recording (so as to once again spotlight and market the capabilities of these incredible libraries), but also using some real vocal solos/choirs and other real instruments to flesh out the arrangements.

In keeping with the direction of this past year's CD, I'd like to offer an original "pop" tune this time, called "Christmas At Home."

Jim

Dabbler wrote:
    are there any copyright considerations or are you only taking original/traditional stuff?
    I believe I saw a link or a list here last summer/fall (memory isn't as good as it used to be) showing quite a few traditional Christmas(free from copyright) songs available for use. Maybe someone else remembers and give a point in the right direction for reviewing those again. Just a reminder about copyrighted material, choose your songs carefully. I'm sure Gary will not include any copyrighted pieces that have not recieved licensing permission (spelled "money") from the copyright holder.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Well, I'm in, but I have absolutely no idea what I would do. There are so many possibilities.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Dabbler wrote:
    Just a reminder about copyrighted material, choose your songs carefully. I'm sure Gary will not include any copyrighted pieces that have not recieved licensing permission (spelled "money") from the copyright holder.
    That makes sense... oh well, it'll just be an extra challenge to do a non-copyrighted or original!

It will be JABB from me for sure... Does it come with sleigh bells?

R.

Go Back to forum