• Register
  • Help

Topic: Those CLICKING sounds!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Those CLICKING sounds!!!!

I have recently changed motherboard and gfx board on my Gigasampler computer. I now have the following setup:

Abit VA-6 mobo
    256 MB PC100 RAM
    ASUS V6600 Deluxe AGP card
    Celeron 300@450 CPU
    Opcode PC Midi Translator MIDI-interface
    Gina soundcard, v5.02 drivers

And after I reinstalled everything on this system I am getting more or less random clicking sounds in my playback - and it doesn\'t seem to be very polyphony related.
    Anyone who knows what could be the problem???
    All other programs seem to perform without hickups.

Simon

Re: Those CLICKING sounds!!!!

It maybe your hard drive. Have you tried enabling DMA?

My HD\'s are the same as before... and yes, they are actually faster than ever because there\'s an onboard UDMA controller. It is not a question of speed - the clicks can occur with only one sound playing or with 64. Doesn\'t matter.

I think what David means is, have you specifically enabled DMA for the drives in Device Manager. If you’ve done a fresh installation, it will be disabled by default.

I did enable DMA. But now I\'ve been doing some more screwing around with my drivers etc. and it seems to be an issue with the VIA Busmaster IDE drivers. If I choose to disable both IDE channels in the /hard driver controllers/via.... setup, I get no clicks. Instead Gigasampler seems to not be fast enough to handle all MIDI data that is send and misses some notes here and there...

I wonder if this is a problem that Nemesys or VIA will be looking into. It would be bad if I had to buy an Intel motherboard instead, since this can\'t overclock as much as the VIA ones (due to VIA\'s AGP/2 divider)

Simon

Go Back to forum