• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Monitor Placement Question

Share/Bookmark

Monitor Placement Question

Greetings,

Here's a naive question:

What if any are the sonic implications of placing one's studio monitors (Dynaudio BM5A's) higher than ear level? More percieved treble? Bass? Other? Please fill me in. Thanks.

Re: Monitor Placement Question

You don't hear the sound of them crashing to the floor as your 14 month old son tries to grab them off the shelf!

This is why I moved mine higher!

Obviously, there ARE differences. If not ear level, they will sound differerent (and that is a complex answer because of the room size, reflections, treatment (if any), etc).

If you must move them above ear level, see if you can tilt them down a bit toward your ears.

A lot of people tell me they love my mixes and I can safely tell you that having them on tripods (and angled directly toward my ears) at my ear level is definitely one reason why.

For a small stint, I had to have them on the floor and that changed the entire sonic dynamic. I had to re-mix every single project during that period once I purchased my tri-pods.

Mike

Okay then, naive question #2:

Under what circumstances should a monitor be laid on it's side, as opposed to standing up straight with the tweeter on top? I usually see NS10m's on their side.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Greetings,

Here's a naive question:

What if any are the sonic implications of placing one's studio monitors (Dynaudio BM5A's) higher than ear level? More percieved treble? Bass? Other? Please fill me in. Thanks.
    Mainly you'd just want to avoid exceeding their reach as nearfields, and to be sure you've angled them properly. My nearfields are at ear level, my mid-field JBL 4412's that I use most of the time are mounted up, on either side of my video monitor, and angled down and in. They work well. I prefer ear level, but with larger cabinets it is quite impractical. I also need the distance from the JBL's. I'd need to push everything back a couple of feet if I were using them at ear level.

I use BM5A too.

Tweeter at ear level is best, like for every monitor.
    Good decoupling stands (like tripods) are a must, but sometimes it's difficult to fit in a studio.

Putting them on the side ?
    Well, sonically there is no interest at all to do that.
    It's only a practical matter.
    If you do this, better to put tweeters "inside".

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Mainly you'd just want to avoid exceeding their reach as nearfields, and to be sure you've angled them properly.
    My BM5A's sit on a wooden shelf. Doesn't someone make any "speaker holders" or "mounts" that would angle them downward a bit? If so, does anyone have a url? Thanks.

The Auralex MoPADs works well for me!

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...tion_mopad.asp

My monitors are above ear level, but these allow me to angle them down a bit. Also great for decoupling for tighter bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Actually, I've always heard the opposite. The tweeters should be on the "outside." Better stereo imaging.

Ern
    Ditto on this. I've tried both ways (standing and side) with different monitors, with different results. Best to try out both ways to see which give you the most accurate results.

Best! -Tweed

Go Back to forum