• Register
  • Help

Topic: HOLBERG: Chamber String Orchestra Sound!

Lightbulb HOLBERG SUITE: for Chamber String Orchestra

The Prelude of "Holberg" Suite, by E. Grieg...
    Holberg Suite Prelude

...is one of my favorite for string orchestra. Fast bouncing repetitions, strong bow attacks, sweet "divisi" portato and legato, fast runs, "pizzicato", heavy "tutti" and wide "crescendo". A real challenging gym for chamber string orchestration.

I don't know if it's a good rendition, and I let you comment about, as I would like to know if you are able of recognizing the sound libraries used to make it.

Please let me know....

p.s.: a dry rendition for sounds valuation:
    Holberg less reverb

Re: HOLBERG: Chamber String Orchestra Sound!

that has ALWAYS been one of my favourite pieces!
    with it's quazi-baroque feel and lovely light texture.

surprisingly this is also the demo that comes with one of my external synth modules! - Roland Sound Expansion M-SE 1 (String Ensemble)

and the only thing that didn't sound great in the Roland demo was the rapid downwards scales... which sound wonderful with GPO!

(just sat and listened to your rendition 3 times in a row... god I love this piece!)

As I told you this is great Fabio,
    can't wait to know the name of the libraries you used for, perhaps some ideas, but.... mmmh don't know!!

Cool Re: HOLBERG: Chamber String Orchestra Sound!

It is a sample of how the GPO solo instruments of the ensamble maker, and the Stradivari Solo Violin can mix to make a nice and realistic chamber string sound.

Some additional sounds are my own reprogramming of K2 presets of Chamber Violins by Kirk Hunter.

GPO solos and Stradivari inflate variation in, and receive back a new rich sound from every good sound library.

Excellent, Fabio! Beautiful job on this!

I am very much impressed!

All of the above. I particularly enjoyed the "less reverb" rendition. A really great mock-up of this piece. Also, the instruments used were perfect for my listening.

Bravo, Fabio.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Smile Re: HOLBERG: Chamber String Orchestra Sound!

There's a kind of solemnity in this piece, and then I always imagine it played in wide spaces. That is the reason for a more wet reverb.

Anyway I also like the better definition of more close and dry instruments if, as in this case, they have a good sound.

Beautiful renditions, Fabio!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

A good rendition of a charming work.
    The solo instruments really make it sing.

regards Joe

Wonderful realization - the trill/crescendi are especially effective. It's nice to hear this piece done, as it is so often neglected. The whole suite is terrific, and one of the best Baroque-yet-not-Baroque works in the repertoire. Thanks for doing this!

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum