• Register
  • Help

Topic: Possible Software Solution for Expression Pedal

Share/Bookmark

Possible Software Solution for Expression Pedal

Craig Huson has sent in this helpful solution:

"Just wanted to share a solution I found that ,might help out some other users in my situation.

I bought the Strad with the understanding my volume controller on my midi controller could be assigned to either CC7 or CC11 for expression. As it turns out, the direct translation from Italian was a little fuzzy. It only acted as a volume pedal (CC7)

As I was preparing to purchase a new controller to use the Strad library with, it occurred to me that there must be a software solution to this problem. In fact there is.
    For Sonar or Cubase users going to www.tencrazy.com there is a bunch of Free MFX midi plugins. There is one specifically called CC Map. Simply insert the plugin into your midi track in Sonar and set the values of incoming and outgoing CC#'s and I can now play the Strad in real time using my volume pedal as an expression pedal.

For others, they can go to www.bome.com and grab midi translator. It's not free and not as elegant but does get the job done. It requires virtual midi ports to output the data to but does work.

Just thought I would pass this along as you might have other support requests that fall in the same category as my plight. Thanks again for producing such a wonderful library!"
    Thanks Craig for sharing this with us.

Gary Garritan

Re: Possible Software Solution for Expression Pedal

MIDI Ox is a free full featured MIDI programing utility that can reassign controller values.

http://www.midiox.com/

Regards,

MM

Just to include Mac owners in this thread, there's a very competent (and free – donations accepted) similar MIDI filter/processor called MIDI Pipe.

It can do virtually anything, but there's no manual, so you'd better know your way around CC:s and the like, a bit. Download it at: <http://homepage.mac.com/nicowald/SubtleSoft/> and enjoy!

//Joey

You don't have to use MIDIfx plugins.
    You can instead insert the following Kontakt 2 script in front of the native Stradivari script:
    on init
    end on

on controller
    if ($CC_NUM = 7)
    ignore_controller
    set_controller (11,%CC[$CC_NUM])
    end if
    end on

Even better!

Thanks!

MM

Thanks!

That worked great for me too. Boy, I wish I understood it, though!

I am now hearing the Strad properly for the first time!

You genius!

Nic Jones

For those, who are unsure of how to use the script, I posted above:

0. Load the instrument

1. Click the Edit ("Wrench") button, to enter Instrument Edit Mode.

2. Open Script Editor.

3. Select 1st tab Stradivari GT Script.

4. Click Script menu (down-arrow) button | save preset... | Instrument Specific | Filename: Stradivari GT script | Save.

5. Same (1st) tab, click Script menu button | - Empty -.

6. Click Edit.

7. Paste the translator script into the Edit pane | click Apply.

8. Save this script as Stradivari 7-11 script or whatever you like, following the steps outlined in 4.

9. Select 2nd tab (1st <empty>).

10. Click Script menu button | Instrument Specific | Stradivari GT script.

11. Close Script Editor.

12. Leave Instrument Edit Mode by clicking the Edit ("Wrench") button or the long up-arrow button above the Instrument Rack, next to Instrument Edit Mode text.

That should cover it.

Question Re: Possible Software Solution for Expression Pedal

I can't seem to find the "Wrench" tool. Is this only for those who have the full version of Kontakt? I just have the player that came with the Strad.

The "wrench" is neither to found in the Kontakt Player 2 nor Kontakt 2. The Stadivari 2 has been put behind locks and bolts and cannot be edited in K2. You can not edit any instrument in KP2.

I was afraid that might be the case. But I have it working now with the midi plugin mentioned above.

Go Back to forum